General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

85 accord burning coolant- not head gasket though

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 09:27 PM
mdd0127
Unregistered
Default 85 accord burning coolant- not head gasket though

I'm a mechanic in Mancos, CO and I'm hoping one of you guys has run into this before. I had a nice running 84 accord with a 1.8 for sale(for $200!) and I sold it to a kid that had an 86 accord. He said another mechanic had told him that the head gasket was blown on the 86 and he wanted me to swap motors. I can do most toyota engines in about 4 hours so I quoted him $200 to swap longblocks(all of the vacuum/ emissions crap was totally different). When I pulled his old 2.0L out, I pulled the head off and it had a new head gasket that was all munched up from a bad install and an obvious leak between the coolant and oil passages. The block was also siezed from being overheated and rusted inside from sitting so I went ahead bolting all of the 86 peripherals on the 84 1.8L longblock(intake didn't fit but it does now!) . I was confident that the head gasket was the problem in the 2.0L but once I got everything put back together(20 hours later!), the car is burning a ton of coolant. I know the intake manifold has coolant passages in it but I thought cracks were pretty rare. Are there any emissions doo dads or valves on the intake that could cause this problem? Is this a common issue? What's the correct dissassembly procedure for that thermostat neck that bolts to the head? The egr tubes are really in the way of the bottom nut. It's leaking so I have to take it back off again and it takes forever making 1/32 turns at a time, flipping the wrench every time. Any help would be truly appreciated. Thanks, Danny