General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

88 Accord A/C stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 07:38 PM
88COMMUTER
Unregistered
Default 88 Accord A/C stopped working

I tried searching the forum for answer to my question, and didn't find anything...

So, I've owned this '88 Accord LX for about 4 months now, and the A/C has been working OK. Also, the days haven't been too warm here, until last week. Anyways, on the first hot day, my A/C started acting up:[ul][*] The air wasn't coming out as cool as I was used to.[*] The green light for the A/C switch wasn't turning on. I parked it for a while, and when I returned, the green light was working again, but only for a short while. Then it went out and since then, none of the buttons light up...[*] I took it too a shop and they pointed out that the compressor was not turning on (naturally).[*] Also, the rear defroster isn't working anymore.
[/ul]
So, it seems that the problem may be electrical, but I've checked all of the fuses (at least the ones under the left side of the dash, and under the hood on the passenger side, behind the battery), and the only fuse that indicates a problem is the 10 amp fuse under the dash that, according to the label goes to the rear defroster.

Other additional info:[ul][*] 4 cylinder engine[*] Power everything[*] Manual transmission
[/ul]
I'm hoping that someone has run into this problem or can steer me in the right direction. I'm fairly capable with electrical diagnosis, having experience working on older cars, so I should be able to follow a testing procedure.

Thanks for your time and your help!

Dan

Old 05-24-2005, 07:48 PM
Default RE: 88 Accord A/C stopped working

well obviously you have 2 seperate problems

1. the compressor not turning on.

2. blown fuse for rear defroster.

If you ask my wild guess I'd say bad ground.

but to make you feel welcome in here I'd give you some tips to check up procedure..

Old 05-24-2005, 08:47 PM

Personally I would start from the AC switch itself.
Pull the screw hole cover remove the screw and pull the switch out.
Disconnect it from the wire coupler and remove the switch.

now if you look at the switch horizontaly from left to right - lets mark the pins 1 2 3 4 5

presss the switch on and check the continuity between 3 and 4, and 3 and 5 If you have the continuity between those 2 positions the switch is good. (to be 100% sure check the switch in both positions, in case you checked it in off position)

now on the wire copler if you look at the horizontal way the wires are in order

WHITE | BLUE | YELLOW | RED | BLK | --> 1 2 3 4 5 respectively.

1. With blower switch ON check for continuity between RED #4 wire to body ground => If not there is an open in RED or GREEN wire or blower switch.

2. Turn Ignition ON and connect BLACK #5 to to Body ground the system should start => If not there is an Open in BLACK Oor BLUE/RED wire to the box (at least a one possibility...)

3. With Ignition ON Check YELLOW #3 for voltage to the ground = should have battery voltage.

4. with Head lights ON check for voltage between BLUE #2 to ground should have battery voltage = > if not there is an open in BLUE or WHITE or a switch wire.

Start from here and see how it goes.[&:]

Old 05-26-2005, 10:03 PM
88COMMUTER
Unregistered

Evlampius, you rock! Thanks for the tips! I am pretty proficient with electrical diagnosis (at least with a multimeter anyway), so I should be able to figure this out. Before I read your reply, I had determined that the Rear Defroster fuse (10 amp) trips within a second or two of the A/C switch being depressed.

Thanks for your help. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Dan