General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

88 Accord runs - stalls - then runs again

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 08:23 AM
Default 88 Accord runs - stalls - then runs again

Year and trim accord : 1988 Honda Accord LX - 5 Speed Manual

Your request for a DIY write up : Occassionally, the car will lose power like it has ran out of gas. I can get it cranked by holding down the gas pedal but will only run at about 2-300 rpm. After 15 - 25 seconds, the rpm will increase and the car will "be back to normal".

Any additional notes that need to be added : This is a carb model.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

First, carefully check the choke operation to be sure it's not sticking partially closed.

I would replace the fuel filter, if you haven't already done so. Your fuel supply may be marginal.

Some models in this era had an "engine shutdown kill" feature to prevent dieseling of the engine on shutdown. This feature completely closed the throttle plate and starved the engine for air to prevent dieseling. I recollect the system depended on a solenoid to hold the normal idle position, and solenoid closed when engine was shutdown to allow throttle plate to fully close. A faulty solenoid might cause your symptoms.

good luck

Old 11-10-2010, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator

Really sounds like it is flooding out? Holding the pedal to the floor, it starts but bogs until all the extra gas is burned off.

There are two filters on this gen, one under the hood the other back behind the left/drivers rear tire area. Don't think they are the issue,,,,yet.

To add to what Texas asked. When it is trying to restart or acting up, do you get a smell of gas. When it does this, check the choke as suggested..is it open or closed. Key on, is there gas dripping into the carb,,,"drip" is the key, a fine spray is normal.

Last edited by poorman212; 11-10-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:57 AM

In my original post, I may have been misleading.

Once cranked, I have to hold the gas pedal to the floor to keep it running at 2-300 rpm.

If this changes things, let me know.

Thanks for the help.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:02 PM

Clarification suggests choke more likely than anti-diesel solenoid.

It could still be fuel supply issue.

good luck

Old 11-11-2010, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

Now I'm more confused.

"I can get it cranked by holding down the gas pedal but will only run at about 2-300 rpm. After 15 - 25 seconds, the rpm will increase and the car will "be back to normal".

So, I still lean towards flooding. Is there ANY pattern to this,,,,left or right turns,,anything. Only in the mornings or after sitting for a long time. Full tank, 1/2 tank, almost empty.

Could be choke, too much fuel, too little. When it does this, can you tell if the choke is open/closed. What is the level of fuel in the carb-sight glass left/drivers side of carb. All other maint items up to date-cap-rotor-plugs-filters-ect.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:47 PM

How has this car being maintained? Have you gone through regular/routine maintenance performed on it? Is it up to date?? Is it possible the needle valve is stuck open momentarily?

Last edited by maachan513; 11-11-2010 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:34 PM

Original poster here... I want to add that I can get it running again by

a) holding the pedal down until it cranks
b) while still holding pedal down, roll car down a hill and when up to 20 mph, let out the clutch and the rpms will rise up and run fine

Any ideas?

Old 01-05-2011, 06:31 PM

You've had several ideas from myself and poorman. Act on them.

good luck

Old 01-05-2011, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

Agreed, however the OP has once again given (possible) another clue....so does this only happen when the car is "pointing" downhill. Still leads back to the other suggestions but I had to ask if it only happens when parked "this way".

Quick Reply: 88 Accord runs - stalls - then runs again