General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

89 honda accord EFI. Starts and runs in idle, however it stalls...

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 10:27 AM
Default 89 honda accord EFI. Starts and runs in idle, however it stalls...

My 89 accord is trying my last nerve. It is fuel injected. Will start and run in idle. But if i gas it while in park to about 3k rpms the check engine light flickers and it cuts in and out and will eventually stalls all the way and have to wait a few minutes to start it again. I have done a number of different things to try and resolve this issue. distributer, fuel pump relay, fuel pressure regulator, I checked the wiring harness, all good their. The fuel pump is coming on. I have even replaced the the fuel injector resistor. I cant get a good reading on check engine cause it only clickers when above 2500 rpms and does not stay on when car is not running. The timing belt is new as well. I am at a complete loss as what to do now. Any one that could help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Does the car run OK at rpm's less than 3K?

If yes, the ECM could be the problem. We've been seeing more of these in older accords lately. Have you tried re-setting the ECM to see if this perhaps temporarily fixes the problem?

I checked and used ECM's are in the range of $50-$100. Check ebay and car-part.com for used ECM's. Try to get a "good part" warranty if possible.

good luck

Old 11-14-2012, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator

First thing I would do is get the code from the ECU. ECU is under the drivers seat, from the rear of the seat there is a plastic cover with a "tab" on it, pull the tab from the top, behind that is an LED light. Turn the key to on/pos II.....count the number of flashes. Let us know what you count.
The codes store, unless you pull the fuse or battery, so you don't have to wait until it happens again.

On this gen you read the codes from the led on the ecu, not the CEL on the dash

Personally, seen a few of the 5th gens (94-97) recently....almost nothing on the 3rd gens.

EDIT: the pic has an arrow to the tab I'm speaking of...this is the view from behind the drivers seat, it helps to slide the seat all the way forward.

Attached Thumbnails 89 honda accord EFI. Starts and runs in idle, however it stalls...-3rd-gen-ecu-locationjpg.jpg  

Last edited by poorman212; 11-14-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:17 PM

Thank You TexasHonda hadn't thought of that I will check that next. poorman thank you but i know where the code indicator is. As i said in message i cant get the code light to stay on unless im stepping on the accelerator to 3k rpms. And even then it flickers on and off and doesn't give a positive code but it to flickers with the check engine light and after a few seconds stalls out and wont start again for at least ten minutes.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Matthew Christopher Bucklin Sr.
Thank You TexasHonda hadn't thought of that I will check that next. poorman thank you but i know where the code indicator is. As i said in message i cant get the code light to stay on unless im stepping on the accelerator to 3k rpms. And even then it flickers on and off and doesn't give a positive code but it to flickers with the check engine light and after a few seconds stalls out and wont start again for at least ten minutes.
I'm confused, not hard to do. There is no way that you could watch the LED light on the ECU and the CEL on the dash and press the gas pedal at the same time?

So without starting the car.

Open the window/tab to the ecu.

Turn the key to on/pos II - not starting just on to on.

Look from the behind the drivers seat at the led....what is it doing? Solid on, flashing/flickers?

Don't worry with the dash CEL at all.