General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

89 honda accord lxi

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 02:17 PM
Default 89 honda accord lxi

Hello

I have an 89 accord lxi. Purchased it cheap after i hit a mule, running but not able to drive. The previous owner got it back from shop with some other unknown problem. Well i got it back and have tried every thing under the sun. Well after weeks of this and that i finally did an extensive diagnostic on the fuel and electrical system. My final prognosis according to the factory repair manual. It said to check wiring between fuel pump relay and ignition switch. So next I took the fuss box underneath the dash out intending to investigating the wiring. And when i got the fuss box out I noticed the "Fuel pump cut off relay" was missing from the back of the fuss box. Could this be my problem? I have tried everything from a new distributor, fuel pump, fuel pump relay and many other things. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Old 12-28-2012, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

But it will start and run at idle, correct?

The DX and LX use the relay, the LXi has the main relay.

Check for any codes, ECU is under the drivers seat, view from the rear, open the little plastic tab, turn the key to on/pos II and count any flashes.

Check the cap, rotor and the ign coil on the pass/right strut tower.

Old 12-28-2012, 03:29 PM

yes i have done all of those things. Unfortunately the check engine light does not stay on and only flickers when rpms are above 3k. The connector for the main relay after testing says i need to check wire between ignition switch and main relay. And the main relay is good i bench tested it as well. any other avenues i might take

Old 12-29-2012, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

Codes store in the ECU under the seat (at least until you unhook the battery or pull the underhood fuse). So look at the ECU for any codes (it has a red led light that will flash the codes).

This pic is from behind the drivers seat....I move the seat all the way forward for better view. The arrow is pointing the "tab" that has to be opened to view the led light - pull it open from the top.

Attached Thumbnails 89 honda accord lxi-3rd-gen-ecu-locationjpg.jpg