General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

89' LX Carb / RPM

Old 05-09-2015, 02:36 PM
Default 89' LX Carb / RPM

Been having issues with the car for some time and im just trying to keep it running till i can get an engine swap. That being said the issue is possibly carb related but the engine wont push over 4k RPM in gear. Then after warming up and idling for roughly 10 minutes it tends to start losing all power and the RPMs drop till the engine bottoms out.

Fixes tried so far are getting a replacement carb and things got a little better but still isnt driveable with the RPM issue.

If anyone has any experience in this department a little insight would be awesome or if you know a good mechanic in the Charleston, WV area that would also be swell being that im only an amatuer mechanic.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:04 AM
Super Moderator

Hard to call?

Just me but it doesn't sound like a carb issue....I would replace BOTH fuel filters and check the float level, there is a sight glass on the side of the carb where you view the flaot level.

What is the age of the other tune up items - cap, rotor, plugs.

When the car does die out, does it start right back up?

Old 05-15-2015, 02:17 PM

Looking into the issue more today as time is something I have very little of these days. The engine started up after a few seconds of the starter motor running and then idled alright for about 5mins, once the car had been running and warmed up it was more apt to die out and lose rpms and choke (First Video).

The second video i attempt to drive the car about 100 yards forward and backward to trigger any events unsucessfully, then proceed to rev the engine to check for power drops (out of gear) which nothing surfaced as i figured.

Hoping to check the cap rotor and plugs this weekend for aging and wear, i hope these two videos help with maybe sounding out other issues.

Old 05-16-2015, 12:11 PM

As you are ware the vacuum system on the car is complex. Have you checked the thermo valves? They are a wax driven valves and will fail over time. Often thermo valve A was the one that failed. Also, check every vacuum line and dead end cap for cracks. It sounds like you have a vacuum leak or fault in the vacuum system, or possibly a leak at the primary carb gasket.

Old 05-17-2015, 07:44 PM

Thanks Turtlehead ill keep that info in mind but i really dont have any experience with carbs or vacuum systems and am quite scared to really dig into working on them being only an amateur mechanic at best.