General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

91 accord cuts off while driving, cel never comes on

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 06:18 PM
Default 91 accord cuts off while driving, cel never comes on

Hi everyone. after a few trips to the shop, with no solution in site, i was referd to this forum. here is my problem. driving my 91 accord the other day when it cut out going down the road. no warning just click motor turned off. i put the car in nuteral and after a few seconds i cranked it over and it fired back up. that was last week. i can get it from 2 to 10 miles before it happens again. took it to a shop cause even though i consider my self a diy guy sometimes we just dont have the time. shop said main fuel relay. i said go for it. still did it. took it back to the shop and they said distributer was bad. at this point i took the car home to do the distributer my self. took old one off and apart. i found curroded wires everywhere plus a ton of oil in the cap. instaled new distributer. still does it. checked every fuse relay etc. i also noticed my check engine and battery light no longer come on when i put the key in the on position. i am stumped. the mechanic is saying maybe the main fuel pump relay they put in is bad. maybe my ecu/ecm is toasted. pleas help i miss my car. until now she has been the most reliable car i've ever owned.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Key clue " also noticed my check engine and battery light no longer come on when i put the key in the on position". This means the ignition keyswitch is likely the problem; a very common failure in Accords. Easy diy. Check DIY forum for help. There are many posts on this repair.

good luck

Old 06-10-2011, 06:53 PM

will definantly take a look. could this cause the engine to shut off after running awhile?

Old 06-10-2011, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Intermittent failure is not unusual for ignition switch.

good luck

Old 06-10-2011, 07:02 PM

thank you i'll let you know hoe it turns out

Old 06-10-2011, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

I agree with TH on the electrical part of the ignition switch.

One way to test is to start the car and see if you can get the car to stall out by shaking the key.

Google UEfOeEzH2bs

The first hit will be a video on how to do this on a 94, but it should be very similar to your accord.

The one difference you may find is that the two bolts that hold the switch are not 8mm, like he says. They may look like rivots, but they are bolt with a rounded head to prevent someone from stealing your car. You may need a awl and strike on the side to first break the bolt loose.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

Google VZ2J9rZUQNo

This shows the rounded bolts in there. You may want to install regular bolts to make installation easier.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:54 PM

so i pulled everything apart and did a continuity test on the ignition switch. every thing looks fine. could a main fuel relay cause the no check engine problem? i might have gotten a bunk one. someone also suggested a bad ecu/ecm

Old 06-10-2011, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

It doesn't sound like the main fuel relay to me.

Your switch may be making weak contacts. Do that test of shaking the key while the car is running. If the car immediately stalls out, then you pretty much verified the electrical part of the ignition switch.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:13 PM

will do

Quick Reply: 91 accord cuts off while driving, cel never comes on