General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

91 Accord Rad Fan problem + "Relay Module"

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 07:29 PM
evilseth
Unregistered
Default 91 Accord Rad Fan problem + "Relay Module"

Hello,

I'm new to DIY stuff but catch on fairly quickly if you would be so kind as to help me. Ihave a 91 Accord (a Canadian one with DRL) that has been great, but has recently developed a problem. I bought the car used 9 years ago, the only issues with it were that the cruise control and DRL don't work (the light on the dash stays on unless you put the headlights on low or high). I've been told theseare relay issues, butthey arenot my main problem.

My current problem is that my rad fan will continue to fire off intermittently after I've turned the car off, sometimes for hours. It killed my battery and left me stranded once. I've been to two mechanics since this started and have thus far been charged various amounts of money for "fixes" that don't work - $80 for a new fan relay (the one in the underhood fuse box), $100 for both rad fan and cooling fan switches. I've now been told by a Honda dealer that the problem is either my Rad Timer Relay (located on the rad itself, though for the life of me, I can't find it), which he described as "unlikely," or my Relay Module, a part that my Haynes teardown/rebuild guide doesn't even mention and that I can't second source anywhere but with the Honda dealer for $260. He told me it's located in my driver's side kick panel by my fuse box. I think he's talking about my Main Relay, which as near as I know, is fine.

Can anyone tell me how to locate/identify this "Relay Module," and, if possible, how to replace it? Is it just a relay that I pull out and replace? Are my problems with the DLR and Cruise Control in any way related to this mystery module?

Thank you for your help with this. It makes my blood pressure rise every time I park the car and hear the fan revving up and the relay clicking away.

Eric

Old 04-11-2007, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 91 Accord Rad Fan problem + "Relay Module"

Before you start throwing expensive parts at the car try some simple tests first; There is a sensor in line with the top radiator heater hose; When the fans are running after the engine is shut off, try unplugging that sensor to see if the fans shut off.
Then there is a trouble shooting page for the fan control module, I'll try to find it, but I'm rebuilding from a hard drive crash right now.

Old 04-12-2007, 01:10 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Sounds like it could be the radiator fan cooling timer. This unit went bad on my 90 accord, and the fan would run for no apparent reason, even if the car was cold and had not been running for days. It is located on the drivers side firewall, tucked up in. It is a pain to find and then change, but it is possible. ( I did it myself )

Good Luck!

Old 04-12-2007, 01:13 AM
Administrator

Honda_Dude has it down the best way to check out your car..Try it...should work for you..Thank you Dude...

WheelBrokerAng [sm=exactly.gif]

Old 04-12-2007, 03:04 PM

I had a similar problem. After I replaced my radiator the fan would not run after the engin was turned off. Last weekend I drained the water and replaced with coolant and now it works fine. But based on my research to check the problem, the advice given by hondadude seems the best.

Old 04-18-2007, 11:52 AM
evilseth
Unregistered

Thank you all for your help. I'll give the sensor test a try this weekend.
Sorry for the delay in responding, had something of a family emergency this last week.

Regards,

evilseth

Old 03-21-2009, 06:24 PM
slickrik
Unregistered

i have tryed the sensor tests and my radiator fan still won't shut down even in 30 degree weather!what do i try next? don't want to wire a toggle cause i know the wife will forget to turn on or off. please help

Old 03-21-2009, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

You should start a new thread, so it doesn't get confusing. Also put your year/model, because not all accords are identical.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator