General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

91 accord SE 114k miles car won't start please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 02:32 PM
Default 91 accord SE 114k miles car won't start please help

Hello to all,
I need some help I have a 91 Honda accord SE model with 114k on it and it won’t start. I read the forums and saw the notorious problem with the EFI (main fuel relay) and I thought that was my problem however it is not. I bought a new main relay just to find out it still would not start. It is not getting any fuel. Please advise me here as to what to troubleshoot 1st to find out what is going on.
Here are some ?’s that might help narrow down my problem to all. If it was the EFI main fuel relay is there a fuse or a reset procedure that needs to be done on computer or car to reset the computer so it can start? How do I check/get trouble codes on my car? My S light is not flashing or showing any blinking codes not that I know of so I am sure someone on this forum has had similar problems like me please help thanks.
Dave

Old 07-06-2010, 02:36 PM
Supper Moderator

well you said it is getting no fuel...so that's your prob. has nothing to do with fuses or reseting anything.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

How did you determine that you are not getting fuel? How did you test for spark?

Old 07-06-2010, 11:59 PM

Hello to all,
Okay I don't think you guys are understanding me here.... I don't know what is wrong with the car it should start. Please advise me here as to what could be wrong/causing this problem and what I should check first.
Steps I have done already are as follows. I check spark plugs, distributor, wires, battery connections and anything else that I thought would be bad i.e. the efi main relay. I am at a LOSS HERE AND NEED help as everything looks fine and in good working order. There must be someone on here who knows what is going on due to them having a similar problem please advise me thanks.
1 other thing to mention the car died on me while I was driving it and I smelled fumes kind of like the EFI main relay went out or kind of lock I had a vapor lock. So I am guessing here but I would suspect its fuel related i.e. fuel pump, sensor or relay of some kind.
Where is my fuel pump located? Is there a fuse for the fuel pump and if so where is it located?
Where/how do I check for trouble codes on my car is that done threw the computer or is there a diagnostic hook up port on my car? Please advise me thanks in advance for your help with these questions.
Dave

Old 07-07-2010, 05:43 AM

only real way to test for pressure is a pressure gauge, but if you're like me I'll just listen for the sound when you turn your ignition switch to on position.
the last 2 times my accord just died, they were icm related in the distributor. The fuel smell could be from unburnt gas from an ignition problem.
I used to hate working on the Honda, now I tell myself it's OK...not!
hope this helps on getting trouble codes you may have to download image to view it in a readable size.

Attached Thumbnails 91 accord SE 114k miles car won't start please help-troubleshooting.jpg  
Old 07-07-2010, 07:31 AM

Hello thanks for answering me back. You said "icm related in the distributor" what is ICM stand for and what does it do? Could a bad icm or distributor make the car not get fuel. The reason I ask is my car is turning over fine sounds like it wants to start and not getting fuel. Could that also be because of icm or something else please advise thanks.
Dave

Old 07-07-2010, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

ICM = Ingition Control Module (aka "Ignitor")

That won't cause lack-of-fuel, but we're also wondering how you KNOW it's not getting fuel. Can't tell by the sound.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:43 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

If you spray some gas into the throttle body and see if it starts you can at least get it down to fuel or spark.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:32 PM
Default reply/forward

Originally Posted by JimBlake
ICM = Ingition Control Module (aka "Ignitor")

That won't cause lack-of-fuel, but we're also wondering how you KNOW it's not getting fuel. Can't tell by the sound.
Hello there,
Let me ask you this 1st off what would happen if I was not getting any spark? Would that mean the distrubitor is bad? What would the car do if I was getting no spark or the ICM was bad when I try to start the car? Would it try to turn over/start but not start kind of like its not getting any fuel? Please advise me thanks also below is what I did today and my finding which should help narrow down the problem and what is causing this please advise me thanks.

To give you a update on what I did already. I did take out and change out the efi main relay and tried a new one still same problem. I did listen with the key in the run position for the fuel pump noise when it starts up and I think I did hear it. I also tried to check for spark on the plugs by doing a test with the plug touching a screw driver when I had my friend turn the car over to try to start it and I got nothing no spark. I was told that if I did that test with touching a spark plug with it inside the wire and someone else trying to start the car I should get spark when the screw driver touches the plug. If I don't get spark they

Old 07-07-2010, 10:42 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

The spark plug needs to be grounded(touch the electrode to the engine) to see a spark. If you put a screwdriver in the wire you need to hold it near a ground to see a spark. The valve cover would make a suitable ground. If someone was holding the metal part of a screwdriver in the wire and if they got a good jolt than you have spark, not something I would recommend.

Quick Reply: 91 accord SE 114k miles car won't start please help