General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

91 accord VSS question

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

Is your 91 and LX, DX, or EX? Manual or automatic transmission?

Can you find the number stamped on the transmission? For a manual, it will be close to the front motor mount. On an automatic, it will be near on of the solenoid sets (I think the lower set).

Old 06-14-2015, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

Yea, going to need a pic......that sensor is from a 94-97 Accord. On the 94-97 Accords, the harness plugs directly to the sensor. Pic's of sensor - end of "connector" that plugged into it - and connector you are trying to "connect"

The OE sensor for the 90-93 has a "glued" in wires to the sensor and then the connector.....is it possible that the "glued" in wires pulled out of the "old" sensor

Is there another "connector" a few inches up from the end of the wires you have "hanging" out?

EDIT: I see PA joined in.......way slow at typing. Might be time for me to bow out.

Last edited by poorman212; 06-14-2015 at 12:31 PM.
Old 06-14-2015, 01:25 PM

It's a 91 ex automatic. I will take pics when I get home.

Best I can explain is the sensor that was previously on the car looks exactly like the one for the 94-97. The wires are not glued in. Like you say, the wires/harness would plug directly into the sensor. And then the wires would run and connect to another connector which is right below the intake box. Around the inner wheel well of the front passenger tire. Make any sense?

So basically the sensor has a wire with two connectors. One connector attaches to the sensor and the other end attached to another connector in the area I described.

Old 06-14-2015, 05:24 PM

So this is the original sensor that I was replacing:

This is the sensor with the wires and connector on it:

This is a shot of just the connector that goes on the sensor:

This is the connector that ran from the sensor:

And this is where the connector that runs from the sensor, the previous image, connects to.

Attached Thumbnails 91 accord VSS question-5o7byx.jpg   91 accord VSS question-dmzmtd.jpg   91 accord VSS question-s6r509.jpg   91 accord VSS question-2u6mbyq.jpg   91 accord VSS question-spugco.jpg  

Last edited by Blastingas10; 06-14-2015 at 05:41 PM.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

Lets find out what engine and transmission are in your car. I attached a pdf of the identification locations.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ID locations.pdf (76.9 KB, 148 views)
Old 06-14-2015, 10:53 PM

Alright I will look into that.

The solution to this seems very simple to me, sell the sensor with the wiring/pig tail! I don't understand why you can only buy the sensor with no wiring. If there was a simple pig tail that came with it it would be an easy fix.

Right now the only solution I'm coming up with is trying to splice the wires off the sensor with the wires on the other connector. But then the sensor has three wires, the place it connects to has two. Is that a problem?

Edit: alright so I now have a better understanding of what happened and I really hate myself. If I would have known this car had a 94 sensor then I could have ordered that, replaced the sensor and snapped the wires right back on. But instead I got the 91 sensor, which came with wires. So being stupid I assumed I needed to get the wires from the old one off, so I tried, they wouldn't come easy so I had to pull so hard that I ripped them out. I never should have touched those wires in the first place. Am I right?

Last edited by Blastingas10; 06-14-2015 at 11:11 PM.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:23 PM
Super Moderator

I'm thinking that you have a different engine/transmission installed in your accord.

Maybe from the 94-97 or possibly the DOHC H22 from the Prelude. I remember TexasHonda took apart a VSS and swapped internals. Not sure if this is possible in your situation.

Old 06-14-2015, 11:36 PM

What I'm afraid of is that there is gonna have to be some serious rewiring done. I mean these wires ran way back on I guess what was the tranny or bottom of the engine. I may have even did some damage to some other wiring. Would there be anything else wired with or around a vss?

Old 06-14-2015, 11:44 PM
Super Moderator

The VSS will have a ground, signal, and 12V wires, so rewiring should not be an issue. EDIT: I think you need to find the proper sensor. Verifying the wiring isn't too difficult once you reinstall it.

I'm confused a bit. I'm guessing the orange and yellow wire connected to the two pin harness. Where did the black wire connect?

Old 06-15-2015, 12:07 AM

So this is what I found.

F22a4 2537490

That was near the front around the tranny dipstick so I'm guessing that's for the tranny. Couldn't find the other engine numbers. Found something written in sharpie near that area but couldn't make it out.

Edit: now I see that's the type of motor. So I'm not sure about the transmission. There were a few more numbers I couldn't make out due to grease. I'll have to scrub it tomorrow and see.

I have no idea about the wiring. There's three wires coming from the sensor and two wires going into the opposite connector on the pig tail. There was a lot of taping and seemingly some splicing done.

Edit: I left this photo out. So these were the wires going into the 2 holed connecter.

So it appears to me that the wires from the sensor were not connected to the two pin harness/connecter at all. They were somehow for some reason spliced with the wires I posted above. Hence all the tape work? I don't know.

Attached Thumbnails 91 accord VSS question-5yzvvr.jpg  

Last edited by Blastingas10; 06-15-2015 at 12:25 AM.

Quick Reply: 91 accord VSS question