General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ignition/starting probelm 86 accord! Please help

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 01:09 AM
Default ignition/starting probelm 86 accord! Please help

Bought 1986 accord lxi, 4door, 5-speed from auction. Can't seem to get the car to start with the key/ignititon switch. Everytime i start the darn thing I have to jump the starter. I ran one wire to positive lead on my battery and the other to terimnal on starter and as I turn the key I also have to touch those two wires together to get it to start. Any input will be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advanced! New here so cut me some slack.

Old 02-21-2006, 06:53 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: ignition/starting probelm 86 accord! Please help

why would we be mean to you??........this is the definitive place to be to find out how to fill up your battery all the way to getting the FMU on your turbo to work right.

Old 02-21-2006, 09:08 PM

sounds like a possible bad ignition switch............chk the main fuses , in the underhood fuse box first..

Old 02-22-2006, 12:40 AM

and then even before that i would say get your battery checked could be an ignition switch like desert said or something else. im at work right now ill try to get a better write up a little later

Old 02-22-2006, 02:10 AM

guess i'll start with that, will post results soon! Thanks again!!

Old 02-22-2006, 08:05 AM

there also should be a starter relay that could be your problem. the battery, the actual starter, the relay, and the ignition switch are the most probable problems. those 4 things and the wiring that connects them are what makes up your starting system. there may also be a fuse under the hood for the system. i would just start with the easiest things first and work from there even that ignition switch shouldnt be too hard to take off....two screws should hold it on to the left side of the steering column

Old 02-22-2006, 11:02 AM

where would starter relay be located?

Old 02-22-2006, 08:26 PM

there should be a black plastic box full of relays and fuses under the hood. possible in there. you might want to send a pm to deserthonda cause i think he is an actual honda mechanic he would probably have a better idea for you.

Old 02-22-2006, 09:02 PM

As far as i can recall , there is no starter relay on a 86 accord,,, It has been a long while since i have worked on them,, but if my memore serves me right,, there is no relay..

Have you checked the main fuses in the , under hood fuse box??

give us some feedback ...

Old 02-22-2006, 10:22 PM

yeah I've checked the fuses under the hood and also fuses inside near drivers side kick panel. I found one under the hood that was blown. I beleive it was an 40amp(green) fusible link or something? The plastic cover under the hood does'nt tell what fuse controls what? When the car is jumped off with the starter wires that I ran, I noticed that with the car running in all, if I try to crank it the starter begins to try to start the car so I know theres a connection but no fire to the switch when car isn't running? Holla back?

Quick Reply: ignition/starting probelm 86 accord! Please help