General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

91 - starter spins but doesn't crank, coolant leak

Old 03-23-2011, 06:09 PM
Default 91 - starter spins but doesn't crank, coolant leak

A couple days after flushing the radiator, spring break came and I didn't drive it for a week. Went out to start it, it catches for a second and then the starter just spins. No cranking, just sounds like something small is freewheeling quickly. Open the hood, and my coolant tank's empty, with antifreeze all over the ground. No engine codes - the light's not on anyway, if I'm misunderstanding how to check for them.

Things I can think of, or what I found searching:
  • Flywheel's worn in that spot (how do I manually turn the engine, pop it in neutral and push it a bit?)
  • Starter has gone, coolant leak is unrelated
  • Timing belt broke when I tried to start it
  • Coolant got on the distributor

Old 03-23-2011, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

Have someone try the starter while you watch the engine. Do the drive belts spin? (Alternator etc) If so, then it might be the timing belt. But that doesn't sound like "something small". It just cranks fast without the sound of coming up on compression.

Flywheel worn on that spot...
Use a 17mm socket in the middle of the crankshaft pulley to turn the engine. Only turn it forwards - that is counterclockwise as you stand alongside the left-front tire & look at the crank pulley.

Or put it in 5th gear & push the car forwards a bit.