General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

92 Accord Blowing 15A fuse Taillights/Dash lights out

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 08:07 PM
Default 92 Accord Blowing 15A fuse Taillights/Dash lights out

Ok guys and gals, my first post on here. I did my best on searching for my problem before making this thread and no luck.

Have a 92 Accord that keeps blowing the 15A fuse under the hood that controls my dash lights and running lights. It keeps blowing the fuse. I did notice before it blows that if I wiggle my headlight switch that my dash lights and running lights would flicker on and off. All my wiring in the trunk is 100%, no bare wires, no rusty, funky stuff. All the bulbs are working as well. I went down to a Honda salvage yard today and got another headlight/turn signal combo switch for my year and it worked great until I started driving and the fuse popped again lol wtf!! The old switch I took apart and the copper contacts were covered in black gunk so I figured that was the problem, but now I dont think so. Any ideas? Any best practices on how to locate the culprit? short? bad bulb that still works? Thanks in advance!

Also, when it rains, I seem to get some moisture in my trunk and the "BRAKE LAMP" light will illuminate for a couple of days and will be intermintent. ALL my running lights,brake lights, and turn signals work when a new fuse is installed. None are burnt out

Last edited by spinplate1; 08-18-2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

Can you tell us which fuse # it is based on this diagram.

Attached Thumbnails 92 Accord Blowing 15A fuse Taillights/Dash lights out-fuses.jpg  
Old 08-18-2010, 08:31 PM

I think its #26 Its labeled "Small Light"

Old 08-18-2010, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator

I think I posted the wrong one. How about this one:

Attached Thumbnails 92 Accord Blowing 15A fuse Taillights/Dash lights out-fuses.jpg  
Old 08-18-2010, 11:14 PM

lol thanks! Its definitely 23

Old 08-18-2010, 11:51 PM
Super Moderator

There is a 91 and 93 pdf of the shop manual, so I am not sure how your 92 is wired exactly.

The 91 manual doesn't really show anything that would draw a lot of power for fuse 23.

The 93 shows that the cigarette lighter is on a similar circuit. Check that no metal (like a penny) fell in the lighter.

Does your cigarette lighter work when the fuse blows?

The only way I can think of to isolate the problem is to unplug everything powered through that fuse. Then start plugging stuff in, until the fuse blows.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:25 PM

Thanks for taking the time to help me out!

With the fuse blown, the only items that I see not working ar my dash lights and running lights (fronts and rear taillights) My cigarette lighter works even with the fuse blown, clean as a whistle. Where can I find the pdf manual for the 93?

Also, The "Brake Lamp" light is on and off but all of my brake lights work, even my third in the window. Ive heard that the sensor can be bad under the steering wheel, just not sure if that could be the problem child to my electrical bug.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

The 91 and 93 shop manuals can be downloaded from the online manuals thread in the DIY section. Just click on the spooner link. You wiring seems like it is similar to the 91 shop manual.

Where is the moisture accumulating in the trunk? In one of the brake lamps?

Old 08-19-2010, 11:02 PM

The water is actually accumulating in the trunk itself, around the carpet near the spare tire. I never have any moisture buildup in the lenses or around them. I did find the trunk bulb not workling because it was pushed halfway out of the socket. I fixed that and the brake lamp light wasnt on anymore. I put in a new fuse and 5 minutes of driving it blew. Im ready to just buy all new bulbs or check them individually for rust/corrosion. All lights work. Im afraid of how much this will cost to have a tech try and hunt down the short.

Old 08-20-2010, 02:07 AM
Super Moderator

Does your car have daytime running lights?

Quick Reply: 92 Accord Blowing 15A fuse Taillights/Dash lights out