General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

92 accord fuel gauge broken

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 01:17 AM
Default 92 accord fuel gauge broken

hello guys I am new to honda, only have worked on chevy and ford in my short life span.

So the problem is the fuel gauge I don't know if it is the sending unit or not. This is the problem: When you turn the car off the gauge stays in its place (at 3/4 of a tank) When you turn the car on all the gauges do the normal start up. The fuel gauge does not move.

Also if this is the problem would this part be a good replacement?:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Electronic-Fuel-Gauge-Sending-Unit-Dorman---Champ_22972253-P_N3340C_P|GRP2032_____

Like I said I am completely new to honda's. I am not even sure how to check to make sure that, that is the problem or not. I am trying to make sure it is the fuel sending unit before I just start throwing parts at this thing. So any help at all with this would be greatly appreciated!!!

Old 07-05-2012, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

Traveling and don't have my computer to give detail pic's.

Have you filled the car up, did the gauge go up?If you ground the wire from the sending unit, does the gauge go up to full?

Old 07-05-2012, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

In the trunk, there is an access panel near the back seat. Open that panel.

There should be a 3-pin connector under there that you should unplug. The yel/wht wire in the middle should have 5-8V to ground with the key in the II position.

Turn the key off, then ground that yel/wht wire. Turn the key to the II position. The fuel gauge should rise. Make sure you turn off the key before the needle pegs out past the F mark.

There is also a ground near that access cover. You may want to unbolt it, then clean the bolt and eyelet with a wire brush or some sand paper.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:00 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

welcome to forum, your first post.

Originally Posted by jangalang37
hello guys I am new to honda, ... This is the problem:

When you turn the car off the gauge stays in its place (at 3/4 of a tank)
When you turn the car on all the gauges do the normal start up.
The fuel gauge does not move.
you're new to Honda's. You have a '92. Your fuel gauge is working normally.

Just went and started my '92 to explain. You have 4 gauges: tach, speedo, fuel and coolant temp.
when car is turned off at stop,, all gauges go to zero except the fuel gauge which retains its current reading.

Last edited by UhOh; 07-05-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by UhOh
welcome to forum, your first post.

you're new to Honda's. You have a '92. Your fuel gauge is working normally.

Just went and started my '92 to explain. You have 4 gauges: tach, speedo, fuel and coolant temp.
when car is turned off at stop,, all gauges go to zero except the fuel gauge which retains its current reading.
Thanks for the welcome!

Yeah the fuel gauge is definitely not working I drove well over 100 miles and the fuel gauge has not moved at all. I know they get good gas mileage but not that good. lol.

Ok PAHONDA I will try that and see if that fixes the problem. From what I gather you don't think it is the fuel sending unit.

Poorman, Yes I did fill the tank up and it did not move at all.

Thanks for your help guys! Awesome forum.

Last edited by jangalang37; 07-05-2012 at 07:29 PM.