General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92 accord high idle reving up and down

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 11:31 PM
smitty.308
Unregistered
Default 92 accord high idle reving up and down

I just had my first experience working on a Honda. A friend sold me a 92 accord that had a broken timing belt. I've done several neons, so I purchased it right and dug into it. The timing belt replacement went O.K. it took me a little longer than on a dodge, but I figured it out and it starts and runs,
But, the the idle is very high, 2300-2500, and it revs up and down. I'm puzzled as to why its idling this way, its not missing, any help or advise from Honda pro would be welcomed.

thanks,
smitty

Old 03-15-2008, 09:37 AM
smitty.308
Unregistered
Default RE: 92 accord high idle reving up and down

Ok, heres somemore info that might be helpful. 92 Honda accord 2.2 160,000 miles, no mods appears stock. Timing belt broke last fall so it sat unused all winter. Its not showing any codes. It idles at 2200 rpm, then when it warms up and switches to slow idle, it revs up and down. When I put it in gear it stops reving up and down, but still idles high. I've looked for vacum leaks, and sprayed carb cleaner around the intake and head while its running with no leakes detected.
Anyone every have a problem like this?

Old 03-15-2008, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Read about Idle Air Control Valve problems. It could be the IACV or a large intake manifold leak; PCV missing or stuck open, broken vacuum line. Suggest starting by cleaning the IACV and throttle body and checking PCV system (hose and PCV valve).

good luck

Old 03-15-2008, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

I would reset the ECU (pull the 7.5 Radio/Backup fuse in engine bay fuse box for a minute).

Air contacting the engine coolant sensor will also cause the ECU the misadjust the idle. When you refilled the coolant, did you bleed all the air out of the system? You loosen the bleeder on the thermostat housing until only coolant comes out while topping off the radiator.

Did you have the cylinder head repaired and planed at a machine shop? A broken timing belt will cause the valves to get bent.

Old 03-15-2008, 03:51 PM
smitty.308
Unregistered

Thanks PAhonda!!!
"Air contacting the engine coolant sensor will also cause the ECU the misadjust the idle. When you refilled the coolant, did you bleed all the air out of the system? You loosen the bleeder on the thermostat housing until only coolant comes out while topping off the radiator."

That was it, I checked the radiator again and it was low from when I topped it off yesteday, As I was adding fluid the idle went from a reving 1100-2300 and slowed down to a steady 800.

I was worried that I had a bent valve and would have to tear it apart all over again. Anyways I did get a chance to learn alittle more about Hondas, I cleaned the IACV screen and took the FITV apart and got the little disk a 1/8th turn tighter.

Thanks MUCH PAhonda!!!! YOU CALLED IT RIGHT ON!!

CALL THIS THREAD FIXED.

Old 03-15-2008, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

I'm glad that you got it running right.

Old 03-15-2008, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

Be sure thatit isfull of coolant and the block burped thru the 12mm bleed screw at the T-stat housing, then after it warms up and has idle surge, open the top of the THERMAL idle valve, [2 phillips head screws] then turn down the nylonscrew ring that has the brass cone sticking up thru it. You should hear no air bypassing after the engine is warmed up.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:10 PM
keyboardduder
Unregistered

I have a 1992 EX with 130,000 and all of a sudden the idle started surging 800-1600 while in park. The car warms up after 30 sec, then the idle drops to the surging status. While driving, there is a small drop of power when the gear is initalized from a stop position. I cleaned out my IACV, same problem, went to the junkyeard and picked up a new IACV and cleaned that one out too. Put it in, same problem. The PCV is steadily sucking in air, while the car is off the PCV rattles like how it should. What should I do? I checked my timing belt a while back and it was replaced at around 100,000. It had no visible wear at all. Please help!

Old 07-02-2009, 12:59 AM
sljones2
Unregistered

Originally Posted by smitty.308
Thanks PAhonda!!!
"Air contacting the engine coolant sensor will also cause the ECU the misadjust the idle. When you refilled the coolant, did you bleed all the air out of the system? You loosen the bleeder on the thermostat housing until only coolant comes out while topping off the radiator."

That was it, I checked the radiator again and it was low from when I topped it off yesteday, As I was adding fluid the idle went from a reving 1100-2300 and slowed down to a steady 800....Thanks MUCH PAhonda!!!! YOU CALLED IT RIGHT ON!!
x2! i just finished a timing belt replacement and had pulled the distributor too so i was so worried when it was acting up. however, my google search revealed this thread and i tried it and it worked, so to PAhonda, thank you very much!

sorry for reviving this old thread but i am so grateful for the advice!

Old 07-02-2009, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome new member! Thanks for letting us know it worked.

Quick Reply: 92 accord high idle reving up and down