General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

92 accord lx auto shifting in and out of o/d

Old 05-14-2012, 10:05 AM
Default 92 accord lx auto shifting in and out of o/d

Hello all, I am new to the honda ownership and have a few questions about my 92 accord lx. When the auto tranny goes thru the gears and gets to overdrive it runs about 2700 rpms at 65mph, then it feels like it down shifts, like converter is unlocking, gains about 400 rpms. It will do this about every 30 to 45 seconds until you get to your destination. Does anyone have any ideas. There are no warning lights flashing on or staying on on the dash, except the d4 light while you are driving. Previous owner claims car would shift to second and not shift any farther. I have not experienced this yet, but also have no reason to not believe him. Car has 185000 miles on it.

also, cruise control does not work. Gauge indicator light shows that it is activated, but it does not hold speed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank you for your time,

Andy

Old 05-14-2012, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

Get the trouble code by jumping the blue service connector under the passenger side dash, see this link:

Honda Electronic Transmission Problem- Troubleshoot, Inspection, Repair, Replace.

You may have a problem with the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) and/or the Transmission Control Unit (TCU). TCU is a common problem with your generation Accord.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:58 PM

I will do that this afternoon. Would a bad speed sensor also possibly be the problem with the cruise control?

Old 05-14-2012, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

Yes; but, check the code.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:59 PM

just tried to check codes and there where not any. I jumped the blue service connector, turned the key on to ll and watched for the D4 to flash and it did not. What should I do now?

andy

Old 05-14-2012, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

The TCU may have reset and there is no problems right now. Next time the D4 flashes, etc. check for the trouble code again. It may be a TCU problem.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:52 PM

tranny finally acted up. Pulled code 15 from the D4 flashing light. If I am correct it is the main shaft sensor, correct. If so can it be cleaned or does it need replaced?

andy

Old 05-15-2012, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

Even though it shows that code, a lot of times it is really the TCU for your generation Accord.

You might want to pull the TCU and open it up for an inspection.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:29 PM

I have the TCU open and see no visible issues, but do not really know what I am looking for. I did just talk to the previous owner and he told me that this is a replacement TCU, not the original.

I am now wondering if this needs to be programmed to this car or are the TCU's plug and play units?

Old 05-18-2012, 04:57 PM

I just installed a remanufactured tcu and am still having downshift issues. I pulled the codes again by jumping the service port and got the #15 code again. I have cleaned and activated all electronic solinoids on tranny, removed and cleaned both sensors also. Where should I go from here? I drive 100 miles round trip to work every day and really need the fuel economy of this car. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

andy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 92 accord lx auto shifting in and out of o/d