General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92 accord lx shifting problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 01:46 PM
maxy30
Unregistered
Default 92 accord lx shifting problems

hi all, i'm new to this forum. my room mate has an automatic 92 accord; she usually drives it, well, stereotypically. anyways, in the past year she has had shifting problems: the car will act as if it is being driven in neutral as soon as it is shifted into 4th. eventually once it goes all the way up to about 5 grand it will pop into gear. when i have manually shifted it, it can shift through all gears up and down, very smoothly (well as smooth as an auto can be). a year ago, she brought it to a shop where they read the codes from the computer since the D4 light was on in the cluster. the shop said that since every code on the computer is coming up, the computer has to be shot; otherwise the car would not be running at all. the computer was replaced with a refurbished unit, and it drove beautifully for a year. now the problem has resurfaced, without the d4 light coming on. her motor and tranny mounts are probably bad, as the car shakes like wet dog in reverse. i do not know much about these electronic issues, as my car is pre-computer. i'm guessing it is a bad sensor, since logically the computer should not go bad this early (of course the warranty was up six months ago). thanks in advance,

kevin

Old 07-17-2007, 02:15 PM
Default RE: 92 accord lx shifting problems

Could it be a faulty TCM/TCU (transmission control module/unit)? I'm just throwing this out there. Maybe one of our pro's will bite at it.

A female roommate? [sm=pimp.gif]

Old 07-17-2007, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 92 accord lx shifting problems

I would check the codes yourself. Follow these instructions: http://www.dhost.info/accordinfo/howto/cel.html

Watch the D4 light instead of the CEL to find out what is stored on the TCU. The codes are stored the same as CEL. 1, 2, 3,...

Post those codes and we can give you better advice.

Also, repeat the same thing for the CEL incase there are codes stored on the ECU.