General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92 Accord Nightmare Lives On!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 11:16 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 92 Accord Nightmare Lives On!

It has been almost a year now and still havent got anywhere with the repair of my 92 Accord problems. The car is just a backup car and gets driven mostly on the weekends, but I still would like to get to the bottom of this! Here are my problems : Air bubles in the coolant resivoir,Hard starting sometimes, Strange suction noise when engine is turned off.(some of you may have watched the video of this on my other thread " 92 Accord strange suction noise")

Everytime I think I have diagnosed the problem and replace a part, no luck. The manual says that the FITV will allow air into the coolant system if its bad. All indications showed that it WAS bad (lower throttle body port sucking air when at normal operating temp). So I thought I had it figured out and bought a new FITV... no Luck!

This car has had a new head gasket,new water pump,thermostat,radiator,timing belt,radiator cap, you name it, Ive probaly replaced it, tested it, or checked it over the last year! The coolant system will hold 15psi for 1 hour...no leaks! But yet after a 15-20 minute drive the coolant resivoir is bubbleing! So Im hoping someone can help me diagnose the source of my problem. Im hoping that its one thing that is causeing all my problems! My ECU gives me a code of #14 (IACV). I dont know if that is worth replacing at this point! Nothing else that is diagnosed seems to be the fix.

Thanks for any input

Old 08-30-2010, 02:46 AM
Super Moderator

Its worth the time to do the electrical tests on the IACV (aka EACV).

See these two tests for the IACV testing:

media.honda.co.uk/car/owner/media/manuals/accordManual/400/6-194.pdf

and

media.honda.co.uk/car/owner/media/manuals/accordManual/400/6-198.pdf

Old 08-30-2010, 10:44 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Ok thanks PAHonda for the links! I will check them out.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:30 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Its worth the time to do the electrical tests on the IACV (aka EACV).

See these two tests for the IACV testing:

media.honda.co.uk/car/owner/media/manuals/accordManual/400/6-194.pdf

and

media.honda.co.uk/car/owner/media/manuals/accordManual/400/6-198.pdf

I tried to look at the info in the links above. The first one didn't really explain how to perform a test. The second one didn't work. I have checked the power going to the IACV. Its getting 12v with the key in the #2 position. In fact my IACV buzzes a little when key is in #2 position. I think my IACV is bad but it still does not explain my air in the coolant. That is the biggest problem I have right now, because as air builds up it causes the car to overheat. Then I have to bleed the air out before I drive again! Very frustrating

Old 08-30-2010, 02:21 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

do a leakage test for a blown head gasket,,??,,,,,,,warped head ???
did you mill the head when you replaced the gasket ??
the hard starting issue, chk the plugs make sure that they are not wet ( coolant )

Old 08-31-2010, 12:51 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by deserthonda
do a leakage test for a blown head gasket,,??,,,,,,,warped head ???
did you mill the head when you replaced the gasket ??
the hard starting issue, chk the plugs make sure that they are not wet ( coolant )

yep deserthonda, I had the head milled. Before I did the head gasket I did a cylinder leakdown test and it did reveil bubbles in the coolant. So I determined that the gasket was leaking. But now it has the exact symptoms as before only with a new gasket. I may try another cylinder leak test but what I'm learning with these cars is even a clear diagnose test sometimes doesn't lead you to the problem! Nothing is easy diagnose! I'm just tryin to think outside the box and hoping its something that I'm overlooking because I've fixed the obvious stuff already( or at least I think I fixed)! Thanks