General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

92 Accord Stalls After Sitting

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 05:15 PM
TechnoGecko
Unregistered
Default 92 Accord Stalls After Sitting

Hello,

I've got a 92 accord that stalls after the car has been sitting for a while. You'll park the car for the night in the garage and then take it out the next morning, get a few blocks away, and have the car stall ( typically when coming to a stop at a stop sign/light ). If you turn the key the car fires right back up and then will continue to run fine for the rest of the day. In fact, it never happens unless the car has been sitting for more than a few hours. It always starts right back up on the first try.

The 'D' light blinks when I drive the car for more than 5-10 minutes I noticed within the past few months, and the dealer told me the speed sensor was bad. I've orderd the park, just have yet to put it in. Would a bad VSS cause the car to stall? Any easy methods for testing the fuel pump? I'm also going to grab a new fuel filter on the way home and see if that makes any improvements. Car has ~110k on it, so I figure it's due.

Thanks in advance guys!

Old 06-19-2006, 05:24 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 92 Accord Stalls After Sitting

VSS would not cause car to stall.

You might have a faulty ignition module or sometihng along those lines

Old 06-19-2006, 05:55 PM
TechnoGecko
Unregistered

What is the VSS responsible for? The speedometer works fine, and as far as I can tell the car runs great besides the stalling issue.

Old 06-19-2006, 06:05 PM

VSS - Vehicle Speed Sensor. It's sole job is to tell the ECU how fast the car is going so it knows when to change gears, It also runs the speedometer and odomenter as well

Old 06-20-2006, 04:32 AM

could be a # of things,,
if you have a fuel pressure gauge, hook it up and momitor the pressure when car dies, it will tell us if it is stalling because lack of fuel or spark..
almosts acts like the fuel pump ( bad chk valve) allows it to lose pressure when car sits for a while,, car will start with gas that's in the throttle body but dies soon after , once you recycle the key it will work..

1992 civics had a big issue with this problem had to replace a few fuel pumps.........

BUT before we condemn anything WE NEED TO DIAGNOSE .. .........So hook up a fuel pressure gauge or have a shop do it ..leave the car overnight at the shop and have them chk the fuel pressure first thing in the morning ,,

Old 06-20-2006, 06:00 PM
TechnoGecko
Unregistered

Being as it is currently 110 here in Phoenix my enthusiasm about trying to diagnose this issue was pretty low yesterday, so I decided to drop it off at the dealer. They took a look at it and a came back and said the igniter is bad. So, heres the thing. I just replaced the entire distributor only 2500 miles ago because of a bad igniter. Obviously something else is killing these igniters off, but what would cause that? Are there any diagnostic guides for something like this?

Also, I don't suppose someone has access to the shop manual for a 92?

Thanks!

Old 06-20-2006, 06:39 PM

I would say if the ignitor is bad it won't even run. did you put a genuine honda distributor or aftermarket, also check the main relay they will have intermittant problems

Old 06-20-2006, 07:39 PM

This may sound like an odd question but are you by chance using bosch spark plugs? they have a nasty habbit of killing electrical components in the distributor in honda's... switch to NGK if you are... here's a link to some manual's and I think a 91 should be almost identical...

http://hondatech.info/downloads/Auto/Manuals/Accord/

Old 06-21-2006, 05:33 AM

if you replaced the distr including the ignitor,only 2500 miles ago , than the ignitor is still under warranty,, why not get it warrantied at the same place you got the distr at ??

did you get a non factory distr,??,,, they come with some crappy ignitors ..