General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Distributor o-ring replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 11:22 PM
Default Distributor o-ring replacement

I hve a 97 Accord 4 cyl that has a leak around the bottom of the distributor cap. I have read on this forum that it is probably the o-ring. My question is, what do I mark on the distributor to line it back up to avoid having to reset the timing? I was told to mark where the bolts are that hold the distributor to the bracket. But it looks like these bolts and the bracket can only go one way and do not move. I am not sure what will move out of position to make it go out of timing, I have never set the timing nor do I know how which is why I am asking to avoid having to do this. Thanks for any info/help!!

Old 02-21-2007, 11:30 PM
elewishs
Unregistered
Default transmission question

I have a 2002 Acura 3.2 CL Type S.
What kind of transmission problems can I expect? WhenI change gear from drive to reverse it jolts!
Any ideas from anyone?
Thanks!!!!!
Elewishs

Old 02-21-2007, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Distributor o-ring replacement

If the oil is seeping out of the dist cap, or if there is oil inside the cap, the distassywill probably need to be replaced.
To answer your question you can use a scribe or a small chisel and make a mark above the top 12mm bolt where the dist meets thecasting of the head.
After you replace the 'O' ring you need to look at the slot in the camshaft that lines up to the tab on the dist shaft. The tab and slot are offset from center so the dist cannot be installed 180 degrees out of time.

elewishsYou can start your very own thread using the "New Post" button at the top left of the forum screen.
Opening up new questions inside some one elses thread is known as 'threadjacking' and is impolite because the post will get confusing answers, for 2 different problems

Old 02-21-2007, 11:57 PM

Thanks hondadude. So it sounds like if I mark the top bolt and the bracket the top bolt goes in and line those up after I have replaced the o ring, I should be fine. Is that right or am I missing something?

Old 02-22-2007, 01:31 AM
Super Moderator

Correct

Old 02-22-2007, 02:05 AM

Ok. Thanks. I think it is leaking before the distributor and running down underneath the cap, but I will check the distributor and cap when I pull it. I hope it is just the o ring. I hope to do it this weekend. Thanks for the info!!

Old 02-23-2007, 09:51 AM

One more thing. Do I need to lube up the o ring with oil or anything before I put it on the distributor? Thanks!

Old 02-23-2007, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

Coating that ring with bit of engine oil is a good idea when installing. You don't want to pinch and tear the new oring when sliding the distributor back on the cylinder head.

Old 02-23-2007, 02:31 PM

like hondadude said if oil inside the cap you may have an issue, if it's on the outside leaking down it's probably that o-ring, and when I do a distributor job I usually mark/make note of where the rotor was when it was removed, it's just one more way of knowing that it's timed correctly... Kind of a peace of mind thing (like an extended warranty, if you never use it it's a waste, if you need it it's gold)

Old 02-23-2007, 08:24 PM

Do I need to remove the distibutor cap before I can remove the distributor? It looks like there are only the three bolts on the mounting bracket that match up with the 3 bolts on the distributor. Once those are out, it seems like it would come off. Am I wrong and there is something under the cap that need to be removed before it will come off? Thanks!

Quick Reply: Distributor o-ring replacement