General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

92 accord transmission symptom PROBLEM

Old 12-17-2014, 04:59 PM
Default 92 accord transmission symptom PROBLEM

1992 automatic accord. Replaced transmissions with 3 used transmissions. Then 1 rebuilt transmission. Every time the car works perfect for a few days and then same problem. Also if I let the battery go dead each time it has worked for few days and then back to problem. I only have a third gear in normal drive. If I manual shift 1 and 2 is second gear and 3rd and 4th is 3rd gear. Normal drive is always in third gear. Is this electrical or what as after all 4 trannys it worked for a little and then back to the same. Also if I let the battery go dead it works fine for few days then back to problem. No lights on dash are out or flashing. A few times in last month the instrument panel has flashed all doors open red but goes away immediately, not sure if it relates. Last time I took to dealer he said to get a new transmission which I got rebuilt and had identical problem. Please help!!! Thanks

Last edited by jeni; 12-17-2014 at 05:53 PM. Reason: left out info
Old 12-17-2014, 05:56 PM

Also car has only 108000 miles and is in great shape. All transmission fluids used were factory. Have not gone back to dealer to recheck any codes as they told me to get a new/ rebuilt tranny and it would be fine $120 later and then plus the rebuilt tranny. cant understand why every time I do not drive and let battery die it works for couple days and then same problem.... Hmmmm

Old 12-17-2014, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

The Transmission Control Module (TCM) on your generation Accord sometimes had issues with blown capacitors and/or burnt resistors. See this link:

Honda Electronic Transmission Problem- Troubleshoot, Inspection, Repair, Replace.

Has that been look at yet?

Old 12-17-2014, 07:39 PM

The dealer ran the diagnostic but only said he could not tell anything other thane needed a rebuilt transmission and adjusted the cable. Is it not unusual for it to work for a couple days and then go back to only 3rd after 4 transmissions Also why the battery going dead would replicate the same problem of working a couple of days and then exactly the same problem if only 3rd gear appears. Tranny shop thought it might be PCM but does not understand why it does not do it constantly, even after battery drained from non use and then ok day or two then alll over again... thank you

Old 12-17-2014, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

You stated no lights on dash are out or flashing. So, does the D4 indicator flash at any time when you have the issue?

The car may possibly be in limp mode; if battery power is removed briefly, the ECM and the TCM are both reset. The battery dieing essentially removes power from the ECM and TCM. Next time you have the same issue, pull the under-hood ECM back-up fuse briefly (5-10 second) to reset them. The link shows a photo of the location of the fuse. It should be the under-hood fuse no. 24 (7.5A).

If your D4 indicator bulb works, you can use a wire or paperclip to jump a blue colored service check connector (located near the passenger footwell) and see if there are any stored trouble codes. The link also has instructions.

You can also pull the TCM and open it up to visually inspect for any obvious damage. However, even if you don't see anything obvious, it still may be faulty.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:14 AM

No, the d4 indicator light has not flashed. I will check the fuse and also see if any codes? Thanks!

Old 12-18-2014, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

The fuse is probably okay. You can pull the fuse for 5-10 seconds to reset both the ECM and TCM.

Old 12-18-2014, 03:48 PM

It should be easy to find a used TCM. Try having it swapped out to see if the problem is cured.

Old 12-20-2014, 02:02 PM

Pulled the fuse. It looked like it was loose and partially in. Put back in and everything worked as it should. Could that have been the problem. If not, and problem comes back should I try the TCM replacement first? Thanks!

Old 12-20-2014, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

If it was loose and partially in, that may have been the issue. It should never have been partially in.

If the issue comes back and it is okay after a reset again, I would take it out and open it up to look for obvious damage. It is not hard to do. If it is a few resistor and capacitors damaged, an electrical parts shop (some guys that work at parts shops can easily do it) or electrical shop may be able to replace the damaged components relatively inexpensively; or you can do it yourself if you feel capable.

Alternative would be to try a replacement.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 92 accord transmission symptom PROBLEM