General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Timing Belt Again!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 07:59 AM
Default Timing Belt Again!!!

Ok Im pretty sure my timing belt either slipped or broke. I was driving to work exiting off the highway. I gave the car a little throttle and then it sputtered and died out. As that happened I heard clank, clank, clank!! So I figure my timing belt messed up somehow and bent some valves. If anyone has comments and or suggestions it would be appreciated. Oh, And by the way, I will look at the car at the earliest Friday. I will let ya'll know. Thanks.

Old 03-22-2007, 11:45 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Timing Belt Again!!!

the only siggestion i have is for you to chk to see if the camshaft turns ,, take out the oil filler cap at the vlve cover, have someone turn the engine and see if the rocker arms move up and down,, if they do not . t-belt issues,, if they do,then you need to diagnose further, belt could have slipped , so put car on top dead center, remove distr cap and see if # 1 lines up

Old 03-22-2007, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

It's probably not TOO difficult to remove the upper timing cover? Inspecting the sprocket & belt this way may prevent some additional damage. But most likely it's too late anyway?

Old 03-22-2007, 01:33 PM

did you replace the belt when it slipped last time? Or did you just clean it up a little bit and fix the timing then put the old belt back on?

Old 03-22-2007, 08:05 PM

The belt that was on only had a few thousand miles on it so i reused it. I wanted the guy who fixed the car the first time to inspect the tensioners. The car had a slight whine coming from the timing cover area and i wanted to replace them. But, he called and said the car was running before i had a chance to find out exactly what happened. Thanks

Old 03-22-2007, 08:29 PM

I'm suprised he re-used it.... didn't that belt slip to begin with? There had to be a reason that it was slipping/hitting the plastic... I would have suspected the tensioners as well, I'm suprised he didn't check that out.... have you found out any more info on what's wrong?

Old 03-22-2007, 09:09 PM

Ok so far im in the process of pulling it all apart. I have found that the spark plug closest to the trans is damaged like it got hit. Im going to do a compression test after i put it at tdc. Any other thoughs would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:29 PM

you could try using a flashlight to look through the spark plug holes at the pistons and see if any of them look like they're dented from hitting something.... not the most accurate way to do things but it doesn't hurt or cost anything extra....

Old 03-22-2007, 09:57 PM

It looks like there may be a small indentation on the piston but i really cant tell. Any other thoughts? Thanks.

Old 03-22-2007, 11:07 PM

Ok I have a broken valve on the cylinder closest to the trans! DAMN IT!!!! I dont know what to do now. I going to remove the timing belts and start the process of pulling the head. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Timing Belt Again!!!