General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92 Honda Accord Ignition Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 09:53 PM
mepenzien
Unregistered
Default 92 Honda Accord Ignition Problems

Symptoms: When attempting to start the car, the starter cranks the engine, but the engine doesn't fire, not even intermittently. I tried to start it every few minutes for about 30 minutes with no luck. Suspecting that fuel might not be getting to the engine, I purposefully flooded the engine and was satisfied that it wasn't a fuel issue when I could clearly smell the gasoline. During the 30 minutes of attempts, the battery never wavered, so I suspect that the problem isn't caused by the battery or low power.

Repairs: In July or August 2005, the engine had a very thorough tune-up resulting in many replaced parts, including spark plugs and wires, among others. After posting elsewhere and receiving advice on what was probably the cause, I replaced the distributor core, cap and rotor. The symptoms were unaffected.

I am hoping to get a friend over to help with testing whether I'm even getting a spark, but I imagine that it will prove that I'm not getting a spark.

I'm curious what other points of failure might occure to others but right now, I'm suspecting the electronic control unit (the 92 accord has a fully electronic ignition system). Is there anything else that anyone can think of? Has anyone had experience with replacing the ECU?

Thanks in advance for any help you may offer!!

Old 04-23-2007, 12:45 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 92 Honda Accord Ignition Problems

you need to properly diagnose if it is lack of spark ..
You are in the right section DIY there is a write up on how to chk for lack of spark if it is the coil or ignitor ,, chk it out

Old 04-23-2007, 03:58 PM

hmm that sounds familiar...it could be the ignition coil

Old 07-19-2007, 07:10 PM
pupster
Unregistered

MY honda accord 1992 182,000 miles at times will not start---if I generally wait sometimes 5 minutes,
other times 20 minutes it will start with no hesitation.

I was told several years ago that the coil contracts and expands with different temperatures and this creates a poor connection.

Could some of the users please advise if this might have happened to them.
and what might be a solution.

The car runs well otherwise.

thanks,
pupster

Old 07-20-2007, 03:13 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: pupster

MY honda accord 1992 182,000 miles at times will not start---if I generally wait sometimes 5 minutes,
other times 20 minutes it will start with no hesitation.

I was told several years ago that the coil contracts and expands with different temperatures and this creates a poor connection.

Could some of the users please advise if this might have happened to them.
and what might be a solution.

The car runs well otherwise.

thanks,
pupster
in your case it sounds more like a main relay acting up ,, there are some write ups on our DIY section ,, but again ,, you need to diagnose before replacing any components