General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Pump Coolant Leakage

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 08:11 PM
wedtm
Unregistered
Default Water Pump Coolant Leakage

I just purchased my accord last weekend, and drove it down from Port Angeles, WA to Olympia (Roughly 100 Miles). During this time, there was no issues with the coolant at all.

Now, only 4 days later, I'm coming to the point where I can't drive 10 miles with out having to pull over and COMPLETELY FILL my radiator back up with coolant.

I took it to Oilcan Henry's to have them look at it (I'm a novice with cars) and the tech took me below to look at it. It APPEARS that the coolant is leaking from the water pump (weep hole?).

I'm wondering if it's possible for that much coolant to leak from that area in such a small amount of time.

I already have a mechanic lined up for tomorrow to replace the timing belt and water pump, but I want to get some advice as to if that is most likely the problem.

The car has 220k miles on it, and I'm not sure as to when it was replaced last.

Also, as a side note. If I was to purchase a new F22B1 what would the average cost for installing it be?

Old 03-26-2008, 10:10 PM
secureone
Unregistered
Default umm ya

in my experience pump is gonna go (or has gone lol) when leaking thru weep hole and yes put a system under pressure by driving and how much water can come out is ALOT so yes replace the pump.. here is a little article

WATER PUMPS Water pumps move a lot of coolant, hundreds of gallons per hour mile after mile. The pump shaft and bearings are under constant load not only from the drive belt or timing belt but also the fan on vehicles with pump-mounted mechanical cooling fans. Eventually the water pump bearings and seal wear out, and the pump begins to leak. If a water pump is leaking, coolant will come out of the weep hole under the pump shaft. A tiny amount of leakage is normal, but a constant drip or stream of coolant is not. A leaky pump should be replaced as soon as possible to reduce the loss of coolant and the risk of overheating. Another reason for replacing the water pump is if the shaft shows any visible wobble or the bearings are making noise. Most original equipment water pumps last 60,000 miles or more, but a water pump can fail prematurely as a result of coolant contamination and cooling system corrosion. If the coolant is not maintained and replaced periodically, the corrosion-inhibitors eventually break down. Once this happens, rust and scale begin to attack the pump and everything else in the cooling system. These hard abrasive particles will ruin the pump seal and bearings. Symptoms of a pump failure caused by coolant contamination include rusty appearing coolant seeping out the pump shaft weep hole and hard calcium deposits around the hole.