General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EGR valve on 2001 EX V6

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 11:39 PM
Unregistered
Default EGR valve on 2001 EX V6

I’ve got a 2001 Accord EX V6 with 83k miles. Lately 2 of the dashboard warning lights have been coming on and off at random – the Traction Control light and the Check Engine light. Sometimes they come on when I start the car, sometimes while I’m driving, and sometimes not at all. I got diagnostics run on it at Advanced Auto Parts and apparently the cause of the Check Engine light is a faulty EGR valve. Nothing registered as the cause for the TCS light coming on.

I’ve got 2 questions. First – has anybody experienced a similar problem with the dashboard lights? I thought it might be an electrical glitch since 2 unrelated warning lights kept coming on at the same time.

Second question – does anybody have experience with replacing an EGR valve? How long can I safely wait before I take it out to clean or replace if necessary? The engine isn’t idling roughly nor am I getting any knocking, and those are usually symptoms of a bad EGR valve.

Any help is appreciated.

Dave

Old 12-28-2004, 10:21 PM
GolfingTiger
Unregistered
Default RE: EGR valve on 2001 EX V6

Second question – does anybody have experience with replacing an EGR valve? How long can I safely wait before I take it out to clean or replace if necessary? The engine isn’t idling roughly nor am I getting any knocking, and those are usually symptoms of a bad EGR valve.
I've got a '98 Accord EX and I'm going through the same thing right now. The issue with the EGR valve is nothing more than carbon buildup over time. I talked to a Honda service writer the other day that I've become acquainted with through a client who told me on my year model it is a bit of a pain to get to. He says I'm not harming anything and frankly, if the check engine light wasn't on, I wouldn't notice any difference in the performance of the car whatsoever. The light went out for a few days and just came back on for the same EGR valve issue. I wonder if this can also be a sign of some gas I'm buying being of a better quality than others?

Anyone else?

Old 06-01-2005, 12:19 PM
psychlynn
Unregistered

I also have a 2001 Honda Accord EX V6 with the same situation. The light now stays on all the time. I went to auto zone and had the diagnostics ran. Code A0401 for the EGR valve. Could be 5 possible issues related to the EGR. I have looked to find information on replacing this myself (husband) but have found no information from anyone who has done this.

My TCS light started coming on about the same time - it does come on and off though. I have no idea. We just replace the brake pads so we will see if that helps or not.

P.S. When replacing the brake pads: Just an FYI - the front brake calipers can be adjusted with a c clamp BUT the rear has to be rotated - the normal way will not work. Worked on it for 3 hours before we figured this one out!!

Old 01-28-2007, 12:11 AM
Boats042
Unregistered

Hunt down honda service bulletin 99-085 it should help you answer the egr problem I just went through it myself

Old 01-28-2007, 01:59 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

honda has had a lot of issues with the EGR system flow especially on v6s ,, there is a bulletin where they drill out the passage bigger and install a sleeve + replace the valve......if the chk engine lite is on, and it is off, it will store a code in the ECU and when you go test for emissions , it will not pass till code has been cleared .
depending on the mialeage , talk to the honda dealer see if they can help you out and if not , buy the kit form them and do it yourself,,

if you do not want to enlarge the manifold passage and install the sleeve, you can simply claen the passage up and replace the valve , but you need to clean the passage , just replacing the valve will not fully take care of the lite not coming back on again

http://www.98exl.com/tsb/CG/99-085%2...20Clogging.pdf

this is what i am talking about ..

Old 11-12-2011, 12:54 AM

I had the same issue with my 2001 honda accord 2door ex v6. My check engine light and my tcs light was also coming on. The check engine light would always stay on, but the tcs light would come on and off randomly. I check out a post on here and found out what to try. They call the egr port. but its the hair intake chamber i think. i took it off and it was clogged. So i cleaned it as told put it back on and reset the check ingane took it for a 50 mile ride and so far so good. my code was 0401