General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 accord lx automatic wont start

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 01:48 PM
Default 94 accord lx automatic wont start

Hello

Last week I stopped at a gas station leaving work. After driving about 26 miles home my car hesitated after taking a turn. Once it kicked in, the car putted and sounds like and old VW Beetle.When I got to a stop sign it seemed like it just wanted to die. If I didn't just gas up I would've thought I was on empty. The car continued to do this for a couple of days. Finally I tried Lucas gas treatment. I had half a tank of gas, so I put the treatment in, took it for a 5 min ride on the hwy and went to the gas station to get about 2 gallons of gas to mix it up a lil. The car drove fine on the hwy to the gas station. After leaving the gas station, it instantly started to putt and would barely accelerate. The more I hit the gas peddle, the less the car went. Finally the car just died. I got it started after letting it sit for about 10- 15 min but it only went far enough for me to pull off the road. I tried to start it the next day but it will not turn over.

I've been told this could be a clogged fuel filter, but I never have luck with things being easy and costing less. Looking for feedback, to determine whether this is a job for my mechanic or if it could be an easy fix in the garage.

Thanks,,

Hondagrl

Old 11-26-2012, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

"tried to start it the next day but it will not turn over"
Do you mean the starter doesn't spin the engine? That could be a dead battery from all the attempts to start, unrelated to the real problem.

Or do you really mean that it turns over but won't fire? In that case, try starting fluid or spray TB cleaner into the throttlebody. With that, does it fire up for a couple seconds? (Looking for lack of spark vs. lack of fuel)

Old 11-27-2012, 11:52 PM

i have the same problem, 94 accord, short intown trips, need help intermittent will set 15 to 20 min before it will start, have spark, replaced fuel filter, and 80 amp main fuse--now it will do it on the interstate driving down the road---desperatly need advice--thanks daryl48

Old 11-28-2012, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator

Daryl, like I asked arhade, it's lack of fuel vs. lack of spark. You say you have spark, so it seems like fuel. Try squirting some TB cleaner in the TB to verify that it fires up for a couple seconds.

If Arhade says his doesn't crank, then your problem is very different from his.

edit.... OOPS Daryl, I just saw your other post where you said it DOES fire up with starting fluid. It's gonna get confusing so lets leave your questions for your other thread.

Last edited by JimBlake; 11-28-2012 at 06:49 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:29 AM

the "wont start unless its been sitting 15-20 mins" is the most classic symptom of a worn out main fuel relay ive heard since my own woes a few years back.

the main relay is big, its like the size of a fist and should be above your left knee at like the "10-11 o'clock" position behind the dash.

if you dont want to buy a new one, or dont want to wait for one and have some soldering skills you can pull the relay and on the back side where the solder joints are exposed, add some fresh solder. dont be stingy, but make sure that you dont accidentally bridge any connections. This works 99.999% of times that i see this problem.

additionally this normally happens when it gets hot out and you have an older car. however, the cold weather doesnt mean it wont happen.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Street_ruler...
That's true if the car cranks but won't fire. We need Arhade to tell us whether that's the case.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:45 PM

my comment was to daryl.