General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No power

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 11:50 PM
tonyw85
Unregistered
Default No power

I drove over to Jack in the Box earlier tonight in my 95 Accord LX auto. On the way there, everything was fine. It was a bit cold, so I turned the fan all the way up. After I got food and came back to my car, when I turned my car on and tried to start it (in one quick motion), for half a second, everything was fine (lights and fan all went on), and then suddenly everything just died. I tried the lights and power lock, but nothing works. Seems like all the power is just gone.

It's dark out now, so I left my car there and walked back, but tomorrow morning, I need to be somewhere at 11am, so hopefully I can get this thing fixed asap. I don't know much about cars, so I was hoping you guys can tell me what could possibly be wrong with it, so tomorrow morning I can perform the correct diagnostics quickly.

So far I'm thinking maybe I blew a fuse somewhere? Which fuse could cause all the power to go out? Is it in the fuse box on the corner under the hood?

Thanks
-Tony

Old 11-16-2007, 02:07 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: No power

The main fuse would be in the engine bay. I would make sure that the battery connections are clean and tight. Also check the ground bolt on the radiator is clean and secure. If you have a volt meter, check the voltage on the battery. It should be at least 12V.

In the DIY section, there is a thread called ACC 5th gen that has a link to a site with pdfs of the 94 shop manual. The 94 is pretty much identical to the 95.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:57 AM

The first thing I ALWAYS do if my car behaves the way you described is: pop the hood, try to wiggle the connections on the battery, then try to crank again. I have been surprised at how many times I got a no-start on "the money pit" simply because the battery connections were loose/corroded. It happened in my garage last weekend. I actually need to replace my terminals since I almost tore one in half trying to tighten it too much.
So pop your hood. Is there a white powdery substance caked on the battery terminals? If so, you need to disconnect the terminals and clean them off. Then re-connect, make sure they are tight, and try to crank again. If still no start see if someone jumping you off with jumper cables will work.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:18 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

what did you get to eat?

Old 11-16-2007, 10:53 AM

Probably super-sized it

JK, yeah I've had a few times where the battery terminals were loose.. .The OEM terminals are cheap and flimsy, I'm thinking about mounting new terminals to the wiring soon with the "Big 3 Upgrade" as well.

Old 11-16-2007, 11:12 AM

ORIGINAL: smaglik

what did you get to eat?
[size=5] ...... you post-*****!!!!

Old 11-16-2007, 03:05 PM
tonyw85
Unregistered

2 Jumbo Jacks, 2 regular tacos, and a Chicken Sandwich (a jumbo jack and a taco was for midnight snack =P).

Turns out the battery terminal was corroded so badly it was falling apart. I biked over to Kragens for a new terminal, slapped it on, and it worked perfectly. =D Thanks guys!

Old 11-16-2007, 04:13 PM

Thanks for telling us what fixed it