General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 Accord VSS Trouble...the saga continues

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 04:13 PM
Default 94 Accord VSS Trouble...the saga continues

First, THANK YOU to the very knowledgeable and generous in this forum who have guided me thus far. Hopefully I have solved my VSS issue by swapping out the tranny last weekend. However, another problem brings me here again:
The starter solenoid terminal which goes to the starter (something I didn't need to remove) had recessed into the solenoid (stud) when I went to install it. I pried it out gently with a screwdriver - enough so I could get the wire and nut on, but can only get a few threads when it's tight. The car would start. No starter motor sound. I took it out and went to auto zone. It tested noisy, but functioned. I took it home and installed it again. The car kicked over a few times, I tried again, and nothing from the starter.
I suppose I could've just bought a new starter/solenoid, but thought I'd ask you experts what you recommend first.
F22B Automatic.

Thanks again, and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Old 12-15-2014, 07:09 PM

With the car in park/neutral, e-brake set and the key in the on/run position, disconnect the single small wire from the starter (the one that clips on not the one with the nut). Attach a wire to the positive terminal of the battery and take the other end of the wire and touch it to the post on the starter where the wire was connected. The car should crank over and start. If it does not then you may have a bad battery which sometimes can be mistaken for a bad starter, although it does not necessarily mean that you have a bad battery if it does start.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:02 PM

Thanks. The battery is new. I didn't like the look of that starter, so I just bought a new one. After I installed it, it made the same "click" noise. After about 5 attempts, it started cranking, and started. THIS IS WHERE I ANNOUNCE THAT THE SPEEDOMETER WORKS AND THE JDM TRANNY SHIFTS NICE! NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT! (yet). THANKS SO MUCH!!!

So, I'm thinking of replacing the negative battery cable which goes to tranny - it is fairly corroded where at the bare wire area at the transmission ground.

Is there are starter relay causing the "clicking" trouble?

Old 12-30-2014, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

There is a relay for the starter inside the car but it sounds like a battery connection issue.

So yes, be sure all ends of both cables are clean and tight.

Old 12-30-2014, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

The negative battery cable connection (T4) does sound suspect.

Attached Thumbnails 94 Accord VSS Trouble...the saga continues-starting-system.jpg   94 Accord VSS Trouble...the saga continues-transmission-negative-battery-cable-connection-t4.jpg