General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 Honda Accord EX automatic transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 03:32 PM
Default 94 Honda Accord EX automatic transmission problem

Ok so I new to this forum and new to Hondas so I hope someone can help. This is actually my daughters car and I'm trying to save her some money. So, here is what happened. She was on her way to work one morning. She started the car as usual and let it warm up for a bit then headed to work. All was well at this point. She stopped at the local convenience store to grab a coffee and stuff and left the car running while she ran in. When she came out she put the car in reverse and nothing happened. She proceeded to check all the gears and nothing. The car mad no effort or attempt to move. She called me and didn't know what to do so I headed there to see if I could find anything out. First thing I checked was the fluid level and it was fine. I also smelled the fluid and it smelled ok and the color was good. Nothing to indicate anything had been slipping. I didn't have time to trailer it and bring it home that day so I asked the store if I could park in in there back lot for the day. Anyway that afternoon her brilliant uncle (on her moms side) decided to pull it to a local mechanic. They spent a whole half hour checking it out and called back and said it was fried and that they could put a used one in for $1500 bucks. I call them back and told them not to do any work to it. I asked them what codes showed up on the diagnostics and they couldn't give me an answer. I have it home now and want to check it out before I start tossing money at it. I get no flashes on the d4 light. Can someone give me some advice as to how I go about retrieving codes? Also, has anyone seen one go out that fast. From no issues at all to completely dead in a matter of minutes. I am thinking (hoping) for something more like a disconnected linkage or cable or even a problem with a selinoid or 2. Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

In the "Common DIY Threads" post at the top of this section there is a "how to" on getting the codes....simple version, there is a service connector on the pass side that you "jump" with a paperclip or piece of wire.....then watch the cel, d4, abs, srs lights and count the blinks.

Just me, but the auto trans in the 5th gen (94-97) are very good. So I find it hard to believe it just died without any sign. If it did, a used one from a bone yard would be something to think about (maybe ~$300).

Old 03-03-2013, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If you can't get any codes and AT still is dead, suggest pulling the BackUp fuse in the under hood fuse box. This resets the ECM and TCU and may restore some function.

D4 light should flash to advise that AT codes are present.

Also check battery and alternator for correct voltage output.

good luck

Old 03-03-2013, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

Having a warning & checking the codes relies on the "D4" lamp in the instrument cluster. Does that lamp work (bulb not burned out)?

Old 03-11-2013, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
If you can't get any codes and AT still is dead, suggest pulling the BackUp fuse in the under hood fuse box. This resets the ECM and TCU and may restore some function.

D4 light should flash to advise that AT codes are present.

Also check battery and alternator for correct voltage output.

good luck
The battery and alternator test good. I pulled the backup fuse a few days ago and got busy with other things and didn't get back to this car till today. I had forgotten to put the backup fuse in when I got back to the car and I started it to test the alternator. Just for the heck of it I put the car in reverse and it backed up just fine. Same with the forward gears. I shut it down and put the fuse back in and its back to nothing. Still no codes flashing and the d4 lamp does work. Am I correct in assuming the TCU may be my problem?