General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 Honda Accord LX D4 Light Blinking

Old 10-09-2012, 07:46 PM

my problem happened Friday night and the car sat over the weekend and drove it today everything worked fine is this the normal signs of the vss going bad

Old 11-26-2012, 02:17 PM
Default The code that I got

The code that I received was 14. Both the check engine light and the D4 light were flashing 14. I know that it means this : 14 IAC Valve (Idle Air Control) defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor, but how do I check the sensor now? Thank you for your help!!!!

Old 11-27-2012, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

First thing for the CEL 14 is to pull and clean the IACV.....check and bleed the coolant and lets see if that takes care of that one.

Re-check the D4 codes....a 14 from that is usually not a good thing.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Dshow
I have a '94 Accord LX Auto as well. When I purchased a few years ago, the D4 was intermittantly blinking. I think the code was for the Shift Solenoid B saying it wouldn't go into 4th gear lock(?). I bought a new solenoid from Honda (p/n 28300-px4-014), but when I got the old one out and cleaned all the contacts and put it back in, the D4 has remained off for the last couple of years... If it turns out to be that, I know where you can get one at a discount...
Hello. I also have a 94 honda accord lx that I have had for about a year now. Recently the D4 light began blinking while I was driving and than the accelerator stopped working so I had to pull over and turn off the car since it didn't die, just the accelerator stopped working. After I turned it back on it started working again and a couple days later it did the same thing except this time it kept doing it at least 12 times on my way home from a 7 mile drive. I got the code by following directions from this:CEL Check Engine Light

The code that I got is 14 which means IAC Valve (Idle Air Control) defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor. Also when I did the test the check engine light was doing the same exact flashes as the D4 light. Than when I did it a few days later the check engine light was not flashing but the D4 light was. Can someone please explain what I step I should take to getting this taken care of. Thanks so much!

Old 11-28-2012, 05:58 PM

A mechanic I took it to suggested just installing a new IAC because cleaning it will only help for a bit. Why is a 14 code so bad?

Old 11-28-2012, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator

IAC is just for stable idle control; it's not exactly dangerous or anything like that. And Honda IAC valves often DO clean up. But clean the throttle body bore and throttle plate also. And if that doesn't work, maybe you end up buying a new one after all.

Now for the D4 showing code 14, that would have a different meaning. I'm not much of an auto-trans expert, so I hope someone chimes in about that code.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by cosmicyouniverse
The code that I received was 14. Both the check engine light and the D4 light were flashing 14. I know that it means this : 14 IAC Valve (Idle Air Control) defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor, but how do I check the sensor now? Thank you for your help!!!!
The CEL code 14 is for the IACV...as Jim stated, many remove the IACV clean it and the TB then re-install and never have an issue again. So I know what your mechanic said but I personally/respectfully disagree with the statement he made.

Re-check the D4 code.....if it is a code 14 from the D4, you might get lucky and the BRN wire between the ECU and TCU is bad.....99% of the time you are going to need a new TCU.....that is why a code 14 from the D4 is bad.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:04 AM
Default 94 accord lx D4 codes

I got my 94 accord lx 4 years ago, i drove one morning, no problems, parked, turned it off, n it cranks but wont turn over, when cranking, the D4 light starts flashing after 7 to 10 seconds, i jumped yhe wires for the codes, the D4 flashes 3 short, pause, 1 long and 3 short, pause, 1 long and 4 short, then long pause and starts again, whats this mean?

Old 09-17-2015, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator

You have a transmission code 3, 13, and 14.

Turn your key to the II position, but do not try to start the car. Does the check engine light turn on for about two seconds, then turn off?

Old 03-10-2017, 03:04 PM

Hello, I am new on here but need some help. I have a 94 Honda Accord EX and the Drive light flashes and the speedometer does not work. There is no check engine light on and the transmission still shifts well. I read where ya'll say check the Drive light and how many times it flashes to get a code, but mine is a steady, fast blink. No stops or pauses. What could this mean? I see where people are saying like 3 long and 1 short or whatever, but mine never does. Just fast, same pace blinking with NO intermittent

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 94 Honda Accord LX D4 Light Blinking