General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

95 Accord Running Sluggish

Old 07-17-2011, 06:23 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 95 Accord Running Sluggish

My 1995 Honda Accord (305,000 miles) seems to be running a little sluggish the last couple of days. The RPM sits between 15-18 when I am going 40 and that seems lower than usual. It also feels like there is resistance on the gas pedal when I am driving at that speed.

The car doesn't seem to have any "Giddy-up" right now and it will get up to highway speed, but it's almost like a slow climb.

I started to think it may be the plugs and wires, but wanted to get some opinions here since you guys have been so helpful in the past!

Thank you!

Old 07-17-2011, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

A tuneup can help. Spark plugs and wires. Use the NGK ZFR5F-11 plugs recommended for your car. The OEM, Denso, or NGK are good wires. Inspect the distributor cap an rotor. Replace if worn. I like OEM parts for this, you may pay $15 more than the aftermarket parts, but I think it is worth the extra cost.

The one thing you may want to do is clean the EGR ports. In the common DIY thread on top of this forum, there is a link for 94-97 egr passages on the 4 cylinder engine.

Also check for engine and transmission codes. A link is available in that common DIY thread.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:14 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for that. I will definitely have my Honda tech look into that. I drove the car home tonight and it was even more sluggish. Particularly between 30 to 40 mph and when changing gears. The car is running at normal temps, is starting fine with no problems and sits at 5 rpms when idle, as usual. Does any of that info lead anyone to believe they may know the problem?

Old 07-18-2011, 02:35 PM

mine does the same.. its the transmission. as soon as i finish automatic transmissions at UTI im taking it out to diagnose.

it may be something as simple as cable adjustment but meh.

i might add that if i put the shifter in D3 it does not appear sluggish or have that in and out of gears at low speeds only happens in D4

Old 07-18-2011, 05:08 PM
Newest Of Newbies

For sure it's the tranny?

Honda Tech said he hasn't gotten a chance to look at it very closely yet, but that he drove it for a mile this morning and didn't notice any issues. I explained everything possible that I could for him (When it does it, temp of the car, etc.) and he said by my description he thought there may be some build up in the catalytic converter, but that he can't say for sure until he looks at it closer and drives it a little more.

He also said it could have something to do with the temperature outside since I live in Dallas and it's July.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:42 PM

i live in dallas too. want to meet up sometime and we can both diagnose it together. let you know if its the same as mine

when its doing said problem does it give a vibration sound? if you have ever driven a manual shift, it would be equivalent of attempting to drive from a stop in 3rd gear

Old 07-18-2011, 06:52 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by Tek310
i live in dallas too. want to meet up sometime and we can both diagnose it together. let you know if its the same as mine

when its doing said problem does it give a vibration sound? if you have ever driven a manual shift, it would be equivalent of attempting to drive from a stop in 3rd gear
That might be cool if these techs don't spot anything.

It doesn't make any vibration sound at all. It's just a slow build up to any speed. And when it's running, it feels like something is holding it back.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:20 PM

i got some symptoms and probable causes. one sec

Old 07-18-2011, 08:24 PM

you match the symptom #'s with the probable causes on the next sheet

Attached Thumbnails 95 Accord Running Sluggish-atsympt.jpg   95 Accord Running Sluggish-atcause.jpg  
Old 07-18-2011, 09:43 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I don't know...none of those really fit the problems I'm having. I don't really have those symptoms.

I did see a post on Yahoo answers and they perfectly described the feeling I have with my car and it may give you guys some better insight into what I'm feeling when I drive.

Whenever I am accelerating, it feels like I'm driving into a strong head-wind. It's that kind of resistance I feel.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 95 Accord Running Sluggish