General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

A/C System Malfunctioning

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 08:13 AM
ronniebrown2323
Unregistered
Unhappy A/C System Malfunctioning

I'm having a problem with my A/C in my 2004 Honda Accord. I seem to have some sort of a leak in the system because about every month or two i need to put a new tank of freeon. Also, half of the car blows cold while half of the car blows hot when A/C system is full. Since I have the LX, I do not have Dual Climate Control feature. I have been troubled with this for a while. Can anyone help?

Old 07-21-2009, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

Low charge can cause only part of the evaporator to be cold. That can explain why you get different temperature on each side of the car.

Still, the first thing you have to do is FIND THE LEAK & fix it. Then evacuate the system & re-charge it with the correct weight of refrigerant.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

With the exception of an evaporator leak, leaks can usually be found by visual inspection of hoses, connections, AC compressor body, ac clutch assy and rotation plane around clutch assy, and face of condensor. Look for an oily/dirty spot or ring around clutch assy. When a leak occurs, oil is discharged along w/ R134A and dirt sticks to the oil.

If you've had no oil added to the ac system, you should add 2-3 oz PAG lubricant to compensate for leak. Loss of too much lube can cause compressor failure.

You can also ask for UV dye-loaded R134a to be added to the system (along w/ lube if necessary). After operating the AC for some time, the leak can usually be detected w/ a black light in low light conditions.

If the evaporator is leaking, you probably won't detect visually. Occasionally, the UV dye may exit the evaporator condensate (water) drain tube and be detectable. An electronic R134a detector is usually used to confirm evaporator leak by "sniffing" the condensate drain tube outlet.

good luck