Go Back   Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums > General > General Tech Help
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to the Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-24-2005, 02:10 AM
mrstangblb
Unregistered

Default '96 Accord 5 speed radiator leak - is this an easy fix?

I have had my '96 Accord LX 5 speed for about a month and have really enjoyed the 30 mpg! It's in great shape with only 98,000 miles on it, but today I noticed an antifreeze leak. I found the source, and it is a crack that is about 2 and a half inches long just below the top of the radiator.

I know this thing is plastic, so is there a good temporary fix to allow me to get around town easily? How much should a new radiator cost to replace it? Is it hard to put in for a medium-skilled mechanic like me? I have a Haynes manual, but I haven't had time to crack it open to see what this work entails.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated along with advice on where to get a quality radiator to replace this one that is cracked. Thanks for your help and Merry Christmas!

Barry
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Honda Accord Forum!
Old 12-24-2005, 02:30 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Default RE: '96 Accord 5 speed radiator leak - is this an easy fix?

replace radiator,,, look online who has a non factory radiator in your neighborhood ,,,,,cost should be around 100-120 dolars.. the job is easy especialy if you got a 5sp you don't have to worry about cooler lines and that gives u a bit more room.........

if you plan on doing it yourself let me know i will walk you through it

Always Diagnose First,,, Before Replacing Parts.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:52 PM
mrstangblb
Unregistered

Default RE: '96 Accord 5 speed radiator leak - is this an easy fix?

Yep.... I went and bought one this morning from my cousin at Advance Auto Parts for $160, and in the meantime I intend on globbing some of the high temp epoxy into it today to make the rounds to my Aunt's and my relatives' tomorrow. I'm not losing a lot of antifreeze thankfully because the crack is nearer the top, but it still sprays a little.

I may take you up on the offer about instructions on how to put it in. I have a manual and a little CD with instructions on it on how to do it, but I haven't had a chance to take a look yet. Surely it can't be too hard. I've done a few radiator jobs in the past but not on a foreign car.

Have a GREAT Christmas and thanks very much for the help!

Barry
Old 12-24-2005, 12:52 PM

Tags
1996, 96, accord, cooler, cost, cracked, fix, honda, leak, leaking, lines, manual, radiator, repair, replace