General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

96 Accord Cruise Control

Old 12-29-2006, 11:18 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 96 Accord Cruise Control

Need diagonistic suggestions. Cruise ON light at power switch on dash works, fuse is ok. Cruise ENGAGED light does not come on when SET button is pushed, and cruise control does not engage.

A.W.

Old 12-29-2006, 12:58 PM
Default RE: 96 Accord Cruise Control

See if you can get it to engage by pushing "set" and then pushing the "accel" button until it the engage light comes on. If this works, you simply need to take up the slack in your actuator cable. If not we need to diagnose more...

Old 12-29-2006, 03:08 PM
Newest Of Newbies

ArticHonda,

no joy the light in the instrument panel will not come on, and the unit does not 'engage' and hold speed. The master CC switch does light up, and the fuse (Number 11 I think) is good. connections at the actuator look ok, butI need to pull the connector apart and WD 40 the pins.

I just bought the car, it has 79,000 miles and runs as if it was just broken in. An unbelieveable find for $6500. Thanks for your post.

accordwagoneer

Old 12-29-2006, 03:59 PM

You may just need to adjust the cable....

Old 12-29-2006, 04:50 PM
Newest Of Newbies

The cable seemsto have little to no slack in it. Should it be loose or tight?

A.W.

Old 12-29-2006, 10:21 PM

I would still look at the actuator cable for your problem...check out the service manual for your car and download it...then look up the chapter on cruise control for diagnosing the problem your having. It will tell you exactly how to chek the actuator cable or anything else that matches your problem.

http://www.hondahookup.com/manuals/

http://hondatech.info/downloads/Auto/Manuals

Old 01-03-2007, 03:25 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks again for your message. I took the slack out of the cable, and tried the Set, Resume sequence, the light still does not come on, and the unit does not engage. Pulling the small hose off produced a nice hiss, so it has vacuum.

I reviewed the manuals (thanks for the links), and I suspect either the steering wheel switches or the module. Because of the Airbag interface, I am taking it to the dealer - I am a shadetree mechanic and will only probe so far.

I'll put up a general post when I have the problem solved.

A.W.

Old 01-18-2007, 02:47 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Alright, the dealer found nothing obvious, and wants 2 hours labor to diagnosis the cruise control problem further. They are always prospecting like that.

I did find out theleft front axle & joints are new. Does the cruise control get a speed reading off a sensor on the axle? If so, there does not appear to be any sensor - could be the problem.

AW

Old 01-18-2007, 03:44 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

2-3 years ago...back when I owned my 94 accord LX...I had a similar problem. The car had about 180k miles on it at that point. I punted on it. Even though I drove 20k/yr on it, it wasnt worth fixing the cruise. So I lived without it. Something to think about.

Old 01-18-2007, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator

The underhood actuators rarely fail; grab up your handy dandy multi meter, and print out this chart. Be most suspicious of the 'cable reel' or 'slipring' contacts in the steering wheel. pins 5&6

EDIT: Ooops, too much junk in my Honda folder, this second onewill be of more help for you.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5417/7D333208B12C4B1287D8F13051FAC382.gif[/IMG]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 96 Accord Cruise Control