General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

96 ACCORD Drivers side window

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 06:53 PM
NALANALA
Unregistered
Default 96 ACCORD Drivers side window

I have a drivers side window that comes off track when it starts going up. Its got power windows. I have the panel off and can see the cables and everything. When starts out its good then half way up it starts tilting foward and jams. The white nylon guides seem to pull away from the center metal track and allow the window to come out of the front rubber track and the rear track. On the rear , the window actually sort of tilts away from the car. Should this center guide have the same number of "fingers" on the front as the rear? I see three on the back where its easy to see and only one on the front where I had to use a mirror and light. This guide seems to just lift out as the window it raising and and tilting. It a strange way to raise a window. I think the old "sissors" action was better. Has anyone ever fixed this? Thanks

Old 11-02-2007, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: 96 ACCORD Drivers side window

I would suggest downloading the 94-97 Accord manual from hondahookup.com. This will provide details of the window regulator and window guides.

good luck

Old 11-02-2007, 10:26 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

dont double post, and look at the other post i sent you a reply there.

Old 11-03-2007, 02:27 AM
NALANALA
Unregistered

O.K. , Thanks I got the one that was a "update for 96 accord" then went back and got the manual for 94 accord which was more complete. Thanks for the idea, thats a lot of information , might save to CD and store away.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:13 PM

Then go into our DIY section and look under Power window help for a complete write-up

Old 11-03-2007, 08:36 PM
NALANALA
Unregistered

The further I got into it today I realized the window regulator white nylon has worn or warped on one side. Thats why I could see it actually pull out from the track and then the window start going upcrooked. I wasn't sure how it worked or what was bad until I pulled it out. For any other newbies. you can run the window all the way up while guiding the glass with the other hand, and use a 10 mm socket to remove the screws that hold the glass. Before that second screw gets all the way out hold the glass firmly cause it will drop. Then the glass can be pulled out to the inside of door and put aside. After unbolting the regulator track it will pull out and can be examined for messed up. I got one a Autozone for $ 68 and $40 core charge. So.... tomorrow I'm going to put in the new one. All that adjusting in the manuals is probably like the final tweaking if the window regulator is in good shape. I know I'm long winded but if you've never seen this style of window mechanism it hard to figure how it got so far out of whack.

Old 11-04-2007, 12:05 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: NALANALA

For any other newbies. you can run the window all the way up while guiding the glass with the other hand, and use a 10 mm socket to remove the screws that hold the glass. Before that second screw gets all the way out hold the glass firmly cause it will drop. Then the glass can be pulled out to the inside of door and put aside.
if you are just replacing the regulator or motor there is no need to remove the glass totally out,, just remove the 2, 10mm bolts that attach glass to regulator, as you said,, guide the glass all the way up while still in the tracks and use some tape ,( duct tape) to go over the door and to the glass to hold it out of the way ,, less work you have to do when putting it back together + less chance of damaging the glass itself .
also make sure to clean + lube the rubber run channels when putting it all together , window will travel a lot smoother .

Old 11-05-2007, 07:46 AM
NALANALA
Unregistered

I replaced the regulator and everything works good. The one from autozone has thinner plastic guides than the honda part but its about 1/3rd the price. Should be OK. Thanks for all the info