General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

96 accord engine swap with a 94 engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 09:38 PM
Exclamation 96 accord engine swap with a 94 engine

i have a 96 accord lx 2.2L non vtech and the engine went on it... i went and got a new engine from jdm an f22 non vtech and they said i would not have any problems changing it out since thats the same engine i originally had.... ok no problem sounds great but no... i got the new one in and staying with my old transmission changing the clutch and prssure plate and everything did all the fluids to... went to start it up but it didnt start but it did turn over...... i used my old distributer with my coil pack since the engine i got didnt have a coil pack it was a different distributer between the 2 one has the 4 sparkplug wires ( jdm engine)and the other has 5 (blown engine) so i figured i would have to keep it as close to what was in the car as i could... so i used the distributor off the blown engine with the new jdm engine then i found that i was not getting a spark from the coil pack i didnt know why so then with further evaluation i found that there was a wire unhooked...i looked at the blown engine and the wire goes to the crank sensor and looking at the jdm engine it does not have a crank sensor... i was told that the engine has a crank sensor to work with the coil pack then to the distributor and so on but the one without the coil pack has a pick up inside the distributor witch is why it dont have a coil pack... is that right would that be why my car is not producing a spark and not running i was told that i would have to use the distributor that came with the jdm engine without the coil pack but the wiring wont fit since im using the original wiring... i was told that i would have to wire it in myself...i really need help with this as this is my only car and its been off the road for a week and i have no more money to put in to it what should i do to get it back on the road.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:30 AM
Super Moderator

There are two sensors as an assembly that need to be transferred from the old engine to the new one. The sensors are under the timing cover. You may have to swap the oil pump from the 96 to the 94 engine. That is what those sensors bolt to. Then use the 96 distributor.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

PA- I think the gears have to swap as well as there is a magnet/trigger on one of the teeth that triggers the sensors. I "THINK" there is a way to wire the OBDI dist into the OBDII-try google...again I never done this but I swear I read it somewhere.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

In order for those crank sensors to work, you also have to swap over the crankshaft timing sprockets. They are different for the 94 vs 96 engine.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:31 PM

Ok so I did all that and the car started and was running fine for awhile but now I have a new issue... At first it was a small problem that didnt happen all the time but now its every time I stop... The problem is the car won't idle like it should it revs up and down up and down when the car is just sitting there in park or at a light ..... When this first happened I had no lights on in my dash but now I have a check engine light on what is wrong here and how do I fix it???? Thanks got helping me out getting it running changing over the pump and cranks did it

Old 10-20-2011, 06:58 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Bleed the coolant system - fixes that most of the time

Old 10-20-2011, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

And after bleeding the coolant, have the codes checked. Post the actual codes.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:43 AM

so i did the coolant and checked the codes the code came up p0108 and autozone told me it was the map sensor so i got that put it in my car and it didnt fix the problem

Old 10-24-2011, 07:52 AM
Supper Moderator

you can use the dizzy that came with the new engine. You will have a extra square-ish plug you can not doing anything with that would have plugged into the external coil pack. Take a 30amp fuse and plug it into the plug. That will complete the power loop that would have gone to the external coil. Then you will have spark to the engine.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:38 AM

Ok so I fixed it its running smooth now... I had to change the FAST IDLE THERMAL VALVE and that did the trick... its attached under the throttle body and has one coolant line running to it... I did also have to change the map sensor but it wasn't y the car ran like it was after doing the map sensor it cleared the check engine light but I still had the problem.... The fast idle thermal valve won't throw a code if its not working properly so thats what I did and now it runs great...........thanks for all your help