General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96' accord oil light on/found hole in drain pan

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 12:46 PM
Default 96' accord oil light on/found hole in drain pan

alright, my oil light has been coming on after driving around about 5-10 miles. itll start by blinking, then itll stay on sometimes. well about the same time i noticed that i was leaking oil too, so i got up under it and found a small cut in my oil pan thats slowly leaking, not too bad though.

now could this be making my oil light come on. im thinking i may have leaked out too much oil and its losing pressure here and there when i make turns. on the dipstick, the oil is about a cm under the 2nd hole, ive heard it should be between the two and also heard it should be right above the second line, but im about to go check the manual to make sure

thanks!

Old 04-24-2012, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

Driving with the oil light on is incredibly dangerous, very easy to blow an engine because of lacking or no oil pressure.

It should be between the two lines. I would get the oil pan replaced because its only going to get worse leaking. However just a tiny bit below the second line would not be enough to lose enough pressure to turn the oil pressure light on.

When the oil pan is off check the pick up to see if it is clogged.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:34 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

or if you want to try the easy route get some JB Weld, brake cleaner, 180 grit sandpaper.

Drain the oil from the pan
Spray crack with brake cleaner a few times
sand crack with 180 grit sandpaper
spread jb weld at least 2" farther than crack in all directions
Let dry overnight
Fill with oil

Enjoy leak free oil pan

Old 04-24-2012, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

If you're gonna try Crispins repair, first look at the pan & judge whether it's buckled in at all, in addition to the repair. If it's buckled in at all, it might have pushed against the suction pipe & cause the oil pump to suck air from above the pool of oil.

If you suspect anything like that, it's best to remove the pan & have a good look.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:26 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by JimBlake
If you're gonna try Crispins repair, first look at the pan & judge whether it's buckled in at all, in addition to the repair. If it's buckled in at all, it might have pushed against the suction pipe & cause the oil pump to suck air from above the pool of oil.

If you suspect anything like that, it's best to remove the pan & have a good look.
Jim is right 100%

Perhaps post a picture so we can judge if the easier repair will be worth trying.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:57 PM
Almost A Senior Member

just an FYI, I used JB weld once on a cracked valve cover and it worked well and lasted very long with no leakage.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

JBWeld is good, but if the pan is buckled (bending the oil pickup screen) then he needs to remove the pan & take a look.