General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

96 Accord SRS light reset instructions

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 10:28 AM
Default 96 Accord SRS light reset instructions

I am working on my friend's 96 Accord, 4 cyl. F22B2, LX and I have been looking all over the internet for instructions specific to the 96 accord for resetting the srs light on the console. What I usually find are videos that claim the prescribed procedure works for all hondas but I want to be very specific when it comes to dealing with the srs. I also viewed a post by one of our members but it did not say it was just for a 96 accord. What I can say is that I understand that whatever the procedure, it is only for resetting the srs light; It is not to diagnose or repair the system.

Again, if anyone can give me the instructions for resetting the srs light specifically for the 96 accord, or tell me where to look I would greatly appreciate it.

Hondalover

Old 02-26-2011, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

1. Turn the ignition switch OFF, and wait for ten seconds.
Then disconnect the SCS service connector
from the service check connector.
2. Connect the SCS service connector to the MES connector.
3. Turn the ignition switch ON (II).
4. The SRS indicator light comes on for about six seconds
and goes off. Remove the SCS service connector
from the MES connector within four seconds
after the SRS indicator light went off.
5. The SRS indicator light comes on again. Reconnect
the SCS service connector to the MES connector
within the four seconds after the SRS indicator light
comes on.
6. The SRS indicator light goes off. Remove the SCS
service connector from the MES connector within
four seconds.
7. The SRS indicator light indicates that the memory is
erased by blinking two times.

Old 02-26-2011, 01:47 PM

Ok, as for the location of the MES connector, let me make sure I have the right wire:

I see a yellow wire/cable a little less than 1/2 inch in diameter which runs across the top of the fuse panel cover located to the left of the driver's left foot and connects in the fuse block via a yellow connector located at the top right. If this is it do I just depress a tab on the connector and pull it out? The reason I ask is because I went to the junkyard to "practice" pulling it out by this method and I could not get it out for nothing.

Old 02-26-2011, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

That is not the MES connector. MES connector is plugged into a dummy connector close to where your left knee is when driving. Verify by the wire colors. Either the wire colors are both grey, or one is white the other is black.
Look at attached picture.

Attached Thumbnails 96 Accord SRS light reset instructions-mes.jpg  
Old 02-27-2011, 04:11 PM

Ok, what I found was a yellow connector located directy under the steering column between the bottom of the steering column cover and the top of the knee bolster (or the place where you bust your knees in a head on collision). It has 2 gray wires going to it. Is that the MES connector?
Also, instead of using a paper clip, I want to create my own SCS connector by altering a METRA Honda speaker harness, part # 72-7800. I did a google search on this topic and it calls for using a 72-7802 instead of my 72-7800 because it looks like the 72-7802 has been discontinued and a lot of people have been asking can you use the 72-7800 instead. If you can shed some light on this it would be most helpful.

Thanks PA Honda,

Hondalover

Old 02-27-2011, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

That is the MES connector.

You can give that Metra connector a shot. I have always used a thin paperclip to short the SCS and the MES connector.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:08 PM
Default srs reset

Please excuse me if this is an inappropriate way to ask, but does this procedure also work for 1995 Honda Accord wagons?
Thank you,

Old 02-27-2011, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

It will work for the 95 wagon.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:12 AM
Default 96 accord 4cyl MES connector location

PA Honda I apologize, but my second description of my MES location may have misdirected you. So, going by the attached picture, here's what I found and I'm pretty sure this is it:

I see a yellow cable a little less than 1/2 inch in diameter which connects into a yellow dummy plug attached to the body of the car, directly above the hood release handle, in front of the fuse box (not the yellow cable inside the fuse box), and is to the left of the driver's left knee. It also has two gray wires leading to it.

My second description indicated basically that it was on the steering column but what I saw was not attached to a dummy connector.

Again I apologize for any confusion: I'm just trying to avoid a face full of airbag.

Thanks A bunch,

Hondalover

Old 03-05-2011, 09:57 AM

PA Honda,

Used the last yellow cable I found and reset the light! Worked like a charm!

Thank you sooooooo much!!!!

Hondalover