General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'96 Accord won't start

Old 04-08-2011, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You should be able to hear the fuel pump in the fuel tank in a reasonably quiet area. If you hear the Main Fuel Relay and no fuel pump sound, the fuel pump is likely bad. To be absolutely sure you'll need to verify voltage to the fuel pump.

A trick I found when I had a bad fuel pump is to "hammer" the pump w/ repeated off/on/off/on... until pump kicks on. Then car would start. No pump sound = no start. If pump kicks over, then a new pump is indicated.

I don't know but suspect the fuel pump gets a "dead spot" in the windiing that prevents motor from kicking over.

good luck

Old 04-11-2011, 03:22 PM

Ok...I loosened the banjo bolt again today after letting all the leftover gas evaporate out, turned the key to the II position and now nothing is coming out. Tried starting the car too and a tiny drip came out.

Found my OBD1 connector and shorted it for CEL codes. If I'm correct with each long flash=10, short flash=1, it spit out 72, 73, 72. Why the repetition on 72? And if that's the correct diagnosis, I have misfires in both cylinders 2 & 3.

And now it's raining

Old 04-11-2011, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

That OBD1 code could be from each cylinder, or a random misfire.

I think that you pretty much verified that the fuel pump is not turning on.

Just want to check that you tested the main fuel relay properly. The blk/yel wire going to the fuel pump should get power for 2 seconds when you first turn the key to the II position. There is 3-pin electrical connector in the trunk that you can access to test the wire. The wire colors are blk/yel, lt grn/red, and yel/blu. This connector is not under that access panel, but just past that panel towards the trunk. If that blk/yel wire has voltage for two seconds, then the problem is with the fuel pump.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

After sitting for some time, fuel pumps can "gum up". Might try cycling the key on and off several, several times to see if that "frees" it up....dropping the tank is not fun.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:34 PM

My dad checked the wire to the relay for me last week while I was looking some stuff up online..the blk/ylw one that you described (pahonda). I'm pretty sure it was the correct one, I trust him. Tried turning key to II position quite a few times to listen for fuel pump hum and nothing...unfortunately it doesn't look like it's going to be a quick job Is there anything else I should do/check before getting knee deep in this project? I had to change a pump in a crx a few yrs back, dropped the tank, fun times. Really don't wanna have to do this crap again. Any suggestions appreciated, thanks a ton!

Old 04-11-2011, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

There is a ground bolt near that cover in the trunk that you can clean using a wire brush and some sand paper. If you that doesn't work, and you have 12V to that wire for two seconds and no fuel pressure, then the fuel pump is the likely culprit.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

You could run wires directly to the battery, to "hot-wire" the pump. If the pump doesn't run with good clean 12v right from the battery, then you'll know the pump is bad.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:30 AM
Newest Of Newbies

spray starter fluid in the throttle body, hold the gas all the way down on the throttle body and start it. mine did the same thing yours did.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:35 PM

Well I had to hold the gas pedal down to open the carb and spray the starting fluid in...kept it down when I turned the key and pumped it like crazy. It chugged a few times but still wouldn't start completely. Sounds like it's trying so hard....even gave her a pep talk and everything lol. She's mad that I got a new ride and left her sit alone for 4 months in the cold!

Might try hot-wiring the pump, sounds like a good idea, thanks!
Any other suggestions in the meantime would help a ton.
Thanks again everyone!

Old 04-12-2011, 04:42 PM

A friend suggested putting dry gas in the tank, good idea?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '96 Accord won't start