General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 Honda Accord ex Fuel Fliter or Fuel Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 10:32 AM
Default 96 Honda Accord ex Fuel Fliter or Fuel Pump?

I have a 1996 Honda accord Ex that I've been working on for the last week. For this whole week it has refused to start, it turns over so I know the ignition is fines. I put a whole new starter and still nothing. I changed the spark plugs and spark wire, and I even switched the fuel relay. I tested the for the fuel pump and I can hear it go on but then it turns off, kinda sounds like a robot! The fliter looks pretty dirty so I'm thinking what if it has never been changed and its just clogged. My question is what can it be? If the pump is out would it still make that noise?

Old 10-11-2012, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

The fuel pump is supposed to run for 2 seconds then quit; if you turn the key to ON but don't immediately turn it to START. So that's OK. I haven't heard of a fuel pump being bad yet still making the "normal" sound.

Fuel injectors? After trying to start, pull one or more spark plugs. Are they wet with fuel? Smell any fuel in the cylinders?

You say you changed plugs & wires. Did you check whether you had spark? Will it fire for a second or 2 using starting fluid? (or spray brake-cleaner into the throttlebody)

Old 10-11-2012, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

engine turning over DOES not equal a good ignition system, need to check for spark, then verify fuel pump operation and then see if you have power to the injectors.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

Engine turning over doesn't even prove a good ignition switch. The starter is on a different circuit through the switch, vs. the circuit that powers the EFI & ignition. The common flaky ignition switches will occasionally open the EFI/ignition circuit but they have no problem running the starter.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:51 PM

Ok so me and my friend checked one of the spark plugs and it seemed fine, we also adjusted the timing, now that I think of it when I changed one of the spark plugs one of the old ones had oil on it which was weird.

@JimBlake you say that the fuel pump is suppose to run like that, if it is, then is it possible that it can be the fuel filter! I'm gonna change it soon and Im hopping its just that, if its not that i'm a gonna try and out some gas to see if its not empty! I hope its not just that cause that is gonna be ridiculous

And If it was the ignition switch it wouldn't start or crank so thats why I dont think its the ignition switch!

Old 10-15-2012, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

The ignition switch has to control 3 different circuits. It's very possible for it to be perfectly OK with the starter motor, while having a flaky connection to the ignition system.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If you're sure you hear fuel pump run for 2-3 secs each time you turn keyswitch to ON, the fuel delivery is likely.

Fuel filters rarely block as there is an inlet screen on the fuel pump in the tank that catches most particles. Lot's of folks change the fuel filter for no effect.

Suggest also cracking the banjo bolt on the fuel rail to check for fuel pressure. A strong spray (40 psi driving force) when bolt is cracked indicates pressure is likely OK.

If fuel pressure checks are good, then spark must be the problem; weak spark or missing spark. Try to start w/ starter fluid or throttle body cleaner ( a good 5-10 second spray). If engine starts briefly, the spark is good, and other problem (injectors perhaps). If no start, then spark is weak or missing.

good luck