General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01 accord f23 hesitates to start when warm??

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 08:50 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 01 accord f23 hesitates to start when warm??

Once at running temp if cut off have trouble starting again until cool down I've replaced the ect sensor and tps sensor was told that might be issue but still no change any advice where to look next it's my dd and this is really annoying me

Old 04-09-2013, 09:22 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Somebodys got to have some kind of idea PLEASE HELP I'M STUCK!

Old 04-09-2013, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

Can you describe what is happening when you try to restart the car when warm? Does the starter spin the engine at the normal rate? Or does the engine not run on its own? this is when you release the key, because the engine is running.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:10 PM
Newest Of Newbies

When trying to restart the starter cranks and turns motor but it dosent seem to catch and after any start up she dosent want to.idle right until I drive a little warm or not but then runs fine after awhile until I cut it off the starter will continue to crank motor but not run I've been told it's the coil but have spark to plugs so the dizzy cap and coil must be fairly.good to move the spark right? Also been told ignition switch could be burnt out but don't see how that could affect it since she's turning over

Old 04-09-2013, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

Please try to use more punctuation, because your last post was hard to read.

So the starter works, but the engine will not run on its own.

How did you test for spark?

Old 04-09-2013, 10:30 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Sorry im on a cell phone, but no the motor dosent want to run on it's own I have to hold petal when cranking to get her to fire

To test the spark I just pulled the plugs turned car over while they were grounded and looked for spark

Old 04-09-2013, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

You really need to stop throwing pars at the car to solve the problem. Diagnose the problem first.

Does the check engine light turn on while driving? Stop by an autoparts store and have them check for codes just to be thorough.

Does your car have a distributor? I always forget when honda changed to the coil over plug.

How old and what brand of spark plugs did you use on your car?

Was any work done on the car right before this problem started?

Old 04-09-2013, 11:06 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Yes it has a distributor and im running ngk plugs from AutoZone not two months old

I replaced cylinder head and all gaskets about two months ago also I can check my codes at home I've got it down to vtec malfunction and cylinder 3 misfire no new codes have came up since it started messing up

I replaced the knock sensor tps sensor and ect sensor last week to get rid of those codes

Old 04-09-2013, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

Can you tell me the current codes, like P1234. If you have the old codes that you fixed, you can post them too.

Did you get the cheaper NGK zfr5f-11 plugs, they are about $2 each. I would look at the contacts inside the cap to see if they are worn out. Look at the rotor edge too. I would pick up a cap and rotor at the Honda dealership, because Honda parts seem to last a long time.

Did all of these codes come up after you replaced the cylinder head? Did you have the head milled, etc... Why did you have to replace the cylinder head? Trying to get the whole story here.

One other simple test to do is turn the key to the II position, but do no try to start the car. Listen for the fuel pump to turn on for about two seconds, when the check engine light does the bulb check. Turn off the blower, radio, etc..., because the fuel pump gives a faint buzzing/whirling noise from the back set. Let us know if that sound is present or missing when the car is having staring problems.

Do have access to a timing light?

Old 04-09-2013, 11:42 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I bought the car from a kid who didn't know what he was doing the old head was cracked he reused old head gasket and didn't even have a oil pan gasket I know terrible so I Had to replace it.

Head was done by a trust worthy shop in town all stock specs and have recipes

I do think they are cheaper spark plugs and yes I can hear fuel pump cut on

Here are the codes it threw from beginning
P0122 tps sensor low input
P0303 misfire 3
P0325 knock sensor
P1253 vtec malfunction
P0300 random misfire
And p0117 ect sensor low input

Quick Reply: 01 accord f23 hesitates to start when warm??