General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

97 accord problems

Old 05-13-2008, 09:09 PM
Default 97 accord problems

horn isnt working. what should I do to get it working again?

automatic 97 accordcar reads 10 over so if it says im going 50 im really going 40 how do i fix this?

Old 05-14-2008, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 97 accord problems

Have youchecked the fuse? Then check whether the horn itself works by using a jumper wire directly from the battery.

Speedo sounds strange. I think normally a bad VSS would make it erratic, not smoothly reading high. Maybe the gauge itself is bad?

History of the car? Any reason to think someone may have removed the needle & put it back in the wrong position?

Old 05-14-2008, 07:42 AM

ORIGINAL: JimBlake

Have youchecked the fuse? Then check whether the horn itself works by using a jumper wire directly from the battery.

Speedo sounds strange. I think normally a bad VSS would make it erratic, not smoothly reading high. Maybe the gauge itself is bad?

History of the car? Any reason to think someone may have removed the needle & put it back in the wrong position?
would the fuse say horn?

i dont think anyone has messed with the gauges

Old 05-14-2008, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

Now that I think about it for a minute, the fuse may be shared with the brake lamps & the shift interlock (if it's auto-tranny).I don't have a '97 so check your own owners manual or fuse diagrams to see what's all together on the same fuse.

If that stuff works, then it's not the fuse so check the horn itself. They can go bad.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:18 AM

ill check em out.
so what do you sugest? new gauges?

Old 05-14-2008, 08:27 AM

Honda Accords have a two tone hone (a low and high). Many times one horn will go out and you don't realize it until the other goes out and you have no horn.Fuse30 in the underhood fuse panel is your horn fuse (photo). If this fuse is good, most likely both horns are bad.

If you have an aftermarket set of wheels, the speedometer could be inaccurate if they are not 15".

Also, the speedometer guages had problems in the '94 thru '97 Accord (4 and 6 cylinders). The common problem was the odometer would stop working when it was clicking over to a new unit and was on a 99. It would stop between 99 and 00. But it could also loose speed measuring accuracy. On a 1997 it is just as likely to be a speedometer gauge as a speed sensor. If it is a speed sensor failing, drive nicely for a few weeks until summertime heat cranks upand see if your check engine light comes on indicating a code 17.

Very serious problem because if the guage was replaced, it would start at 000000. So, those who read this post, take warning that if you are looking at a '94 thru '97 Accord showing low mileage, do your research. There is good chance it could have had a guage installed at some point.

Ed Brian
Accurate Automotive, Inc.
www.accuratecars.com

[IMG]local://upfiles/16306/861D467657AD47B7BE0A0AB55CCB5533.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-14-2008, 02:27 PM

ORIGINAL: hondaed

Honda Accords have a two tone hone (a low and high). Many times one horn will go out and you don't realize it until the other goes out and you have no horn.Fuse30 in the underhood fuse panel is your horn fuse (photo). If this fuse is good, most likely both horns are bad.

If you have an aftermarket set of wheels, the speedometer could be inaccurate if they are not 15".

Also, the speedometer guages had problems in the '94 thru '97 Accord (4 and 6 cylinders). The common problem was the odometer would stop working when it was clicking over to a new unit and was on a 99. It would stop between 99 and 00. But it could also loose speed measuring accuracy. On a 1997 it is just as likely to be a speedometer gauge as a speed sensor. If it is a speed sensor failing, drive nicely for a few weeks until summertime heat cranks upand see if your check engine light comes on indicating a code 17.

Very serious problem because if the guage was replaced, it would start at 000000. So, those who read this post, take warning that if you are looking at a '94 thru '97 Accord showing low mileage, do your research. There is good chance it could have had a guage installed at some point.

Ed Brian
Accurate Automotive, Inc.
www.accuratecars.com

[IMG]local://upfiles/16306/861D467657AD47B7BE0A0AB55CCB5533.jpg[/IMG]

woah thanks alot broseph.
great information.

but another question.

im driving a 95 accord 5spd 4dr.
i dono what size rims are on it right now but say i were to get 16 or 17's would that mess with my speed?

Old 05-14-2008, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

Speed isn't about the rim size. It's about the overall outside diameter of the tire's tread. I'm too lazy to look up the STOCK tire size for that year, but you can go to TireRack & find a 16 or 17 or whatever size TIRE that has the same outside tread diameter.

Orfind a tire size calculator somewhere on miata.net or several other places???

Old 05-14-2008, 05:29 PM

SCHWEET!

Old 05-15-2008, 07:31 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: JimBlake

Speed isn't about the rim size. It's about the overall outside diameter of the tire's tread. I'm too lazy to look up the STOCK tire size for that year, but you can go to TireRack & find a 16 or 17 or whatever size TIRE that has the same outside tread diameter.

Orfind a tire size calculator somewhere on miata.net or several other places???
WheelBrokerAng says OEM 14" Rims 185/70/14"
Tires

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 97 accord problems