General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

97 Accord SE Distributor Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 07:58 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Question 97 Accord SE Distributor Question

I just removed the distributor in my 97 Accord and replaced the o-ring where the distributor body mounts into the cylinder head. Hopefully this will take care of my external oil leak.

My question is actually 2 parts. When I removed the distributor cover, I had about a teaspoon of oil inside the cover. Can this be repaired, or do you need to buy a new distributor if this leak get's worse?

Also under the distributor cover and rotor there is a thin plastic shield. Just wondering what exactly this cover does, as it does sit in place pretty loose, and almost looks like it could easily come in contact with the underside of the rotor as it turns.

Any clarification on this is appreciated!

Thanks.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator

Oil leak inside the distributor is from the shaft seal inside there. Honda's official story is that you have to buy a new distributor. But I've seen threads about people who have managed to replace that seal - after finding a place to buy it.

I think that cover provides some shielding between the arcing (rotor-to-cap) and the timing sensors on the other side of the shield.

Old 02-26-2015, 05:17 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Thanks for the reply Jim. I plan on removing the cap for inspection in about a month or so to get some kind of idea how much the shaft seal is leaking.

Old 02-26-2015, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

If you're referring to part #6, that is a leak cover.

Attached Thumbnails 97 Accord SE Distributor Question-distributor-tec-461708.jpg  
Old 02-27-2015, 10:36 AM

I had the same problem on my wife's 99 Accord EX Coupe. After replacing the O-Ring the distributer still leaked oil inside of the distributer. After some thinking I decided to replace the distributer because oil will eventually degrade the plastic electrical components inside. For $165.00 I got the new distributer containing all of the electrical components, the rotor and cap from Rock Auto.

Old 02-27-2015, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

It's a bit of work to replace internal seals and no garuntee it will cure leak. If still interested PM your email address and I'll forward some repair pdf's I saved from a defunct website.

FYI, I did this a couple of times and both failed. I may have damaged the small seal during installatioon. It is tiny and difficult to properly seat. Something like 19x12x5 mm. Others have had success so not impossible.

good luck

Old 02-27-2015, 04:33 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Thanks for all the input.

I'll look around the internet for a replacement price if I go that route.

Also going to pull the cover periodically to get an idea of how much oil is leaking inside the distributor.

Have a great weekend all.......I am so ready for spring!

Old 02-28-2015, 06:20 PM
Almost A Senior Member

FYi, it's a $6 seal and yes you can replace it.

If you have the non-VTEC engine, you can access the seal by unscrewing an inside cover. Here's a DIY video:

if you have the VTEC engine with the Hitachi distributor, it's a real bitch but you can still do it ...

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...ributor-53904/

Good luck, and tell us how it went!

Thanks. John

Old 03-02-2015, 10:34 PM
Almost A Senior Member

I have the non V tech engine, so I'll view the video and give it a try. Is the internal seal a dealer item?

Old 03-02-2015, 11:01 PM
Almost A Senior Member

This should be the seal for the non-Hitachi distributors (non-F22B1 engines):

Quick Reply: 97 Accord SE Distributor Question