General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

97 EX Almost entire front end replaced and NEW alignment steering issues occurs.HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 10:50 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Unhappy 97 EX Almost entire front end replaced and NEW alignment steering issues occurs.HELP

I bought a 97 Accord EX over a year ago. I bought a clean looking one with a nice leather interior and have been trying to return it back to its second life.

I replaced a whole bunch of front end parts on it and now I hate it more than ever. It's automatic.
  • (2) - FRONT LOWER Ball Joints - LH (Driver Side) & RH (Passenger Side)
  • (2) - FRONT INNER Tie Rod Ends - LH (Driver Side) & RH (Passenger Side)
  • (2) - FRONT OUTER Tie Rod Ends - LH (Driver Side) & RH (Passenger Side)
  • (2) - FRONT Sway Bar End Links - LH (Driver Side) & RH (Passenger Side)
  • (2) - FRONT UPPER Control Arms - LH (Driver Side) & RH (Passenger Side)
Got the kit from above installed with WHEEL BEARINGS & HUBS and a tire from the nail between there somewhere...Then I got an alignment because I was complaining about squirlyness of my car while driving. Mechanic said my wheels were solid, get an alignment. I got my frond end aligned. Still wasn't right. Mechanic looked at it again but on the life and saw my front motor mount was broken, my cv joints had play from the mount, and my sway bar end links looked like **** already/all cracked. I also still had brake shake really bad, so I bought: BOTH CV JOINTS, ROTORS, BRAKE PADS, SWAY BAR END LINKS, and FRONT MOTOR MOUNT.

My brake shake went away completely as my rotor had a small crack in it somehow. Now, still feel like crap on the highway. WTF

My car still doesn't show any play at the wheels when you grab them, but when I'm at hwy speeds/speeding, I start getting what feels like 75% of the time minor wheel vibrations above 50+ mph AND wheel wander... I hold the wheel straight but my car wallows all around the lane. It's scary becuz it's hard to control. When I let go of the wheel completely, It acts like it's on autopilot, wheel moves around slightly back and forth.
When I hold the wheel straight, it works itself all around the lane, it's like I have to slightly chase the wheel but I get really close to cars next to me sometimes unexpectedly.

On regular roads, my ride isn't perfect either but not really noticeable until higher speeds. I had a tire with a bulge once on a prior car and I could feel it bounce pretty good when I'd be driving but this one, makes me not think so much, but hey maybe just out of balance already or mishapened from age/wear?

Anyway-I have 3 old, pretty worn tires that came with the car and one new one on the back right. The tire that is new happened because of a nail in the tire.

My mechanic said my car is fine now. My BF thinks I'm crazy when I explain myself... I want to go buy new unbeat tires and an alignment but I have to "save" up for my auto work and I don't have more money or time to waste while having this dreaded issue.

If I buy new tires and an alignment...would cost me another $150+ to do that and I'm a slow $ earner. AGAIN, I just don't know if its going to help. I'm about ready to sell this car as my whole ride to work is a 65+ mph highway now....

PLEASE HELPPPP
THANKS IN ADVANCE for reading

Old 09-12-2012, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Suggest having someone check steering wheel for free play (steering wheel rotates w/o corresponding movement of front tires). You may have worn, steering rack.

good luck

Old 09-12-2012, 12:03 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for responding. I'll try looking into it

Old 09-12-2012, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator

Ok, off the deep end.....be sure to check the rack bushings and clamps as well.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:02 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Will do. I called my mechanic today and expressed my issues again. I'm coming down to see him Friday afternoon so we'll see what he can find out.

I'll stress that he look into the steering gear system if he isn't initally inclined to himself.

I really hope I can get this in order asap. :]