General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

97 honda accord engine cooling fans help

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 02:26 AM
Default 97 honda accord engine cooling fans help

I have a 1997 Honda Accord Manual 5 speed.

Issue : Car over heats only during summer/spring time when there is a lot of consecutive stopping and starting, whether traffic or traffic lights. On the highway or a straight shot it will not overheat no matter how hot it is outside.

During winter and fall months it will not run hot even when there's multiple stops back to back.

My thought: The engine cooling fans were not working. I looked and surely enough neither fan will spin. My girlfriend said it was always that way ever since she's had it. She was told by her father that the two motors on the left and right fans were siezed up (I think there's two motors? I know it's a double fan mount hooked up right behind the radiator tho.)

Anyway my conclusion, I need a new fan. What is the tech term for what I need? Is it just called an engine cooling fan? There's one fan on the right and one on the left. Two small fans, im used to one large fan on my hummer 2 and dodge ramcharger.

Question: Should I find and purchase an entire bundle , for example brand new fans? Or is it just the little motors siezed up? If it's just the motor couldn't I buy fan motors instead and just hook them up and be good to go?

Thanks for advice ,
Hank.

!! PS - A/C works great, heater works great and the radiator is functioning properly, level fluids etc. I am positive the fans are the issue or the fan motors. (Don't know much about the cooling fans.) Just thought I'd clear that up.

Old 12-19-2014, 05:57 AM
Super Moderator

Take a better look at why they don't spin.

You can probably get JUST the motor, cheaper than the whole mess. But you have to make sure whether the actual problem isn't a warped or distorted plastic framework causing the actual fan blades to rub against the shroud. In that case a new motor won't help, and maybe your motors are OK.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

W/O cooling fans AC system may overpressure (in summer) and release from safety pressure release valve. It may be slightly undercharged already preventing this from happening.

A quick check to confirm voltage is available to the fans (pax and driver sides) to be sure motors will fix the problem.

You can buy aftermarket fan assys w/ new shrouds on ebay, amazon, rockauto, etc for reasonable prices.

Installation requires access to underside (lower dust shield removal) to loosen and remove (some but not all bolts) the tie downs. I recollect it was easier to remove driver's side first. There are some wiring connectors attached to fan shroud which must be released.

good luck

Old 12-20-2014, 07:43 PM

I would troubleshoot the fans, there is no shortage of threads up here covering that...

If it's just the motors yeah you can replace them but it's not much more to buy the whole thing...

I would turn the key on and turn on the a/c that should trigger the fan on the left, looking from the drivers door.

good luck!

Edit: Page 2 is where I was chasing the fans... https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...2-56891/page2/

:cheers:

Last edited by Hicksvilleshick; 12-20-2014 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:14 AM
Newest Of Newbies

easy way to check fans put 12 volts to them. I bought 2 motors from Rockauto online.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

I need to correct hicksvilleshick's last post. Turning on the a/c will turn on both cooling fans if working properly. The motor motor on the driver's side is called the a/c condenser fan and the passenger side the radiator fan. The names are inaccurate, because both fans turn on to cool the radiator and a/c compressor.

The easiest way to test the fans is to test for voltage at the fan connector with the a/c turned on. If you have 12V, then the fan motor is likely shot. If you are missing 12V, then you will have to work backwards to find the electrical fault. Be careful when testing. You don't want to get injured due to the getting caught in the belts or burned by the exhaust manifold/downpipe.