General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

97 Honda Accord Third Brake Light

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 03:09 PM
Default 97 Honda Accord Third Brake Light

Hello. I have a 1997 Honda Accord SE with the third brake light out. There is no indication on the dash and the fuses are fine (every fuse was replaced 4/5 months ago). The wiring is almost brand new and the bulbs were just changed a year ago. Any ideas?

Old 06-24-2016, 07:40 PM

Check the bulb anyway.... If the bulbs are good, check connections and wires. See if you get voltage there

Old 06-24-2016, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by rockhoundrob
Check the bulb anyway.... If the bulbs are good, check connections and wires. See if you get voltage there
I just switched out the bulb with a brand new one. It flickered briefly and then nothing afterwards. Its getting voltage. All the fuses were just switched out with new ones as well.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

The circuit to monitor the brake light bulbs does not include the high-mount brake light.

I'd check for corrosion on the connections inside the bulb socket.

You'll have to test the wiring. The grn/wht bulb should get 12V to ground when the brake pedal is pushed. Use a bare metal bolt as ground. The blk wire should have continuity to ground at all times.

It looks like G501 is the ground location for the bulb. The drawing in the shop manual places G501 near the cabin fuse box. The drawing is vague though.

Old 06-25-2016, 10:03 AM

There is not any corrosion on the wires at all or the connections. I had the wires tested at Advanced Auto Parts last night and they said everything was fine. The guy that tested the wires suggested that maybe the high mount brake light has never worked and that it could be a factory issue. Everyone I have spoke to said that that is not possible because there's not any recalls on my car that I can find.

Old 06-25-2016, 10:19 AM

If you're getting voltage to the socket, then check your ground wire

Old 06-25-2016, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by rockhoundrob
If you're getting voltage to the socket, then check your ground wire
Will do and I'll let you know. Thank you for your time and reponses. It's greatly appreciated.

Old 06-26-2016, 05:03 AM
Super Moderator

Does the car have a rear spoiler with a light in it?

Old 06-26-2016, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
Does the car have a rear spoiler with a light in it?
There is no spoiler on the car at all.

As far as the ground wire, everything is perfectly fine.

Old 06-26-2016, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

The has to be a wiring or a connector problem. You said the wiring is brand new, so what wiring was replaced and why? Was a new or used harness used?

Testing for voltage with the bulb removed doesn't necessarily mean there isn't a wiring issue.

Here is a video on testing a third brake light. Next step is to do a voltage drop test. Do you know how to back-probe an electrical connector?

You could back-probe the ground wire, then connect the back-probe to ground to rule out a ground wire issue.

Quick Reply: 97 Honda Accord Third Brake Light