General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

97 LX-Chk Engine light due to water

Old 02-08-2009, 04:32 PM
dpiverson
Unregistered
Default 97 LX-Chk Engine light due to water

1997 Accord LX, 4dr, 2.2 non-VTEC, AT, 92k miles

This is my first post. And this is my first Honda, and I love it, even with 92k. Here goes: OK, OK, I was careful but not careful enough. My LX is dripping oil all over my driveway, so in order to see where it was coming from, I took it to the DIY car wash. You know where this is going. Seriously, I stuck the nozzle way down beneath all the sensitive electrical components, but something got wet. So now I have a check engine light, and it bucks when you accelerate hard. The idle is slower, too.

I thought maybe someone might have an idea where some moisture might be causing this, without me having to go get codes read…But she sure looks nice under there!

As far as my oil leak, I haven't looked real hard, but it makes me nervous because it's on the drivers side. Any common leaks with this motor?

Thanks!

Old 02-08-2009, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

You can short the service connector under the glove box using a thin paper clip and post the results on here. Follow these instructions: http://www.dhost.info/accordinfo/howto/cel.html

Try to track down the oil leak.

It could be the oil pan bolt, the oil filter, the oil pressure sending unit (high above the oil filter), the oil pan, or the valve cover.

If you find that oil is seeping out from behind the timing belt cover, then there are shaft seals that will need to be replaced. There is also an oil pump seal that might be bad. The timing belt needs to be removed to get to these seals. When was the timing belt replaced? If it is due, these seals will not be too much more to have replaced.