General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 4cy lx - EGR problems - EGR code comes up eng. light wont shut off

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 09:25 PM
Default 98 4cy lx - EGR problems - EGR code comes up eng. light wont shut off

I have cleaned out the EGR and the PCM or PCV i forget what its called. It still rattles and its clean as a nuns...ears.

The EGR and ports are spotless. Scraped it, vacuumed it, blew it, sucked it, I dont know if it like it....but it did take me out for a drink later that night.

I have replaced the EGR twice thinking the original one was broken and the first new one was defective.

The throttle body is spotless you can put kernels in there and have it shoot out popcorn. (no i didnt try it)

The engine light is still on, I cant reset it (I tried #13 fuse) I actually pulled all the fuses that were possibly relevant out of desperation...nothin.

How do you completely reset the computer and get this light to go off.

I dont know what else to do here. TB cleaner? Airplane stripper! What else can I put in there to clean out these ports and get the light to go off. Need your help everyone I cant pass inspection and the rejection sticker is up tomorrow. Please help.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

Can you stop by an autozone and get the actual code. I know that you posted about this before. There are different diagnostic codes for the EGR system and there are different diagnostic trees to identify the problem.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

If you have the "Low Flow" code. the ports under the EGR valve itself aren't the place where it's plugged up.
the point where the passage enters the throttle body is the usual place for carbon soot build up.
You'll need to remove the throttle intake body and flip it over to see the blocked port.
Here is a pic of the intake to give you an idea of where the passage goes to.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:38 PM

Thanks again guys, Ill buy you a beer when youre in the area!

Ill have the code first thing tomorrow morning. Unless I can find the slip from last time. I just cant remember it.

Old 01-31-2010, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

If you pull that #13 fuse but the CEL comes back, that just means the problem still isn't fixed. Or a new problem has started. When you clear a code, it all starts over and it just detects the same problem as if it were a new problem.