General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Question about AT fluid level check and cooling fans

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 09:30 PM
Default Question about AT fluid level check and cooling fans

Hello, I decided to check my automatic transmission fluid level by the book in my car listed below. I never did get the cooling fans to come on.

I drove the car on city street about 15 minutes, idled in garage almost 5 minutes, no fans came on, drove freeway about 8 minures, then another 10 in city back home, idled car another 5 minutes. Said, screw it, not going to waste all my gas waiting for fans to come on, so shut off engine, waited 60 seconds and read dipstick which showed fluid exactly at top dimple.

So, I guess the car really needs to be very, very warmed up like after a long freeway jog, or the procedure which says to wait for cooling fan to come on before taking a reading may be too much to ask.

My guess is that it really doesn't matter if the cooling fan comes on before taking a reading. But if a Honda tech begs to differ, I'll listen.

TIA

Old 01-20-2011, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

Only automatic I owned was a 98 Accord 4-cyl. I checked ATF during summertime (fans DID come on) and also checked it after barely driving it around the block. There was very little difference in the level on the dipstick. I suspect you might see a difference if you check it stone cold after parked outside overnight.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Only automatic I owned was a 98 Accord 4-cyl. I checked ATF during summertime (fans DID come on) and also checked it after barely driving it around the block. There was very little difference in the level on the dipstick. I suspect you might see a difference if you check it stone cold after parked outside overnight.
I called the San Leandro dealer where I bought the car and asked about ckecking the AT fluid - it was no help. Advisor says - we usually like to check the fluid when it's cold. I casually mentioned that is not what manual recommends. There's probably different procedures for different cars.

I recall some AT dipsticks have a full cold and full hot mark, but the Accord Coupe is not one of them.

I'm not going to stress about it. Nor am I going to idle the car for 10 minutes waiting for cooling fans to come on in the winter.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

I used to check it after coming home from errands or coming home from work. Car's already warmed up from driving, and I'm not wasting gas just idling to warm it up.