General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

98 Accord: Indicator Lights, Odometer Light, Clock Light...BLOWN FUSES or DEAD BULBS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 06:15 PM
GjB
Question 98 Accord: Indicator Lights, Odometer Light, Clock Light...BLOWN FUSES or DEAD BULBS?

'98 Accord EX 4-cyl. Sedan...
  • My Indicator light cluster (Check Engine, Maintenance Required, etc.) died.
  • My Odometer light died.
  • My Clock light died.
These happened a different times, years apart. I checked the 3 fuses that I thought were possibilities but none of them are blown. I don't want to pay to have someone open up my Instrument Panel cluster and don't want to do it myself either (this would be more serious if my Speedometer light died).

No other fuses in the manual are named anything remotely close to what I'm looking for. What would you do to determine if you're dealing with blown fuses or dead bulbs? Worst case scenario, has anyone had to replace these bulbs, and is it difficult?

I'm thinking I might run out and grab one of those fuse checkers so I can tell if any are blown without pulling them all out. I have fuse boxes under the hood, on the driver's side and on the passenger side and I don't feel like pulling them all out in the freezing cold unless I really have to.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

Can you not see the clock when you are driving at night? If so, replace the backlight. It is a very simple DIY. There is a YouTube video on it.

Did all of the indicator lights go out at the same time, or were they one at a time?

I would also check all of the fuses in the boxes. There is a fuse box on both sides of the dashboard (driver's and passenger), and one in the engine bay.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:29 PM

i have an 02 accord and the clock light and the odemeter light dont light up when you turn the lights on. this kinda the same thing you are talking about?

Old 01-21-2011, 07:28 AM
GjB

Originally Posted by bozos_si
i have an 02 accord and the clock light and the odemeter light dont light up when you turn the lights on. this kinda the same thing you are talking about?
Yes...

Old 01-21-2011, 07:29 AM
GjB

I should have thought to check my Haynes manual before posting. Removing the instrument cluster and clock are easy as pie...I'll be relpacing the bulbs tonight. Thanks for responding.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:30 AM
GjB

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Can you not see the clock when you are driving at night?
Correct.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:31 AM
GjB

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Did all of the indicator lights go out at the same time, or were they one at a time?
To be honest, I don't know. All I know is that now they don't come on when I start the car during the check when they should all come on for a few secs. I know for a fact that my check engine light worked last week because it stayed on

...as far as the other lights in that little maintenance cluster, I don't know if they died at the same time or not because I don't normally check to see if they all come on during the check when starting the car (until now).

Go Steelers. I hope they stomp out the Jets in a good game of FOOTball.

Last edited by GjB; 01-21-2011 at 07:34 AM.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by GjB
I should have thought to check my Haynes manual before posting. Removing the instrument cluster and clock are easy as pie...I'll be relpacing the bulbs tonight. Thanks for responding.

so is that all it is is just the clock bulb and the odemeter bulb that are bad?

Old 01-22-2011, 09:02 AM
GjB

Originally Posted by bozos_si
so is that all it is is just the clock bulb and the odemeter bulb that are bad?
And the maintenance cluster

Old 01-23-2011, 05:00 PM
Default Bulbs

What is the number for the clock bulb and the odometer?

Quick Reply: 98 Accord: Indicator Lights, Odometer Light, Clock Light...BLOWN FUSES or DEAD BULBS?